===============

Total Hits: 6

Total Boated: 5

Species Breakdown: Lake trout

Trolling Speed: 1.8 to 3 mph

Boat Depth: 60 - 120 ft

Lure Depth: 50 ft

====================

I launched my kayak at Sandy Creek after work and began paddling north. I marked bait and fish at about 50 FOW. So, I began trolling one green and black spoon behind a flasher and magnum dipsy diver (pardon me for not knowing what kind of spoon it was, I am primarily a fly fisherman) about 50' down. Jeremy and Lou, whom I had met at the launch, were working their boat out at 120 or 130 FOW. I figured I'd troll out that far and turn around if nothing happened. I marked nothing as I progressed but hooked into a lake trout at 120'. Being in a kayak, I don't have the luxury of motoring around until I mark fish. So, I decided to turn the kayak around and head back to the 50' to 60' water where I had marked fish on my way out. As soon as I reached 60' a 13 lb laker hooked up. I have attached a photo of that one. I landed 3 more lakers after that. Although I still had at least an hour more of trolling time I was getting tired from fighting the wind and pulling that big dipsy, and decided to call it a night. ====================

13_lb_laker.jpg

Fly boy way to go man ive been looking for you but yet to catch you this season. Hope to run into you soon give me a shout on the radio when ever you are out there hopefully getting out wendesday or thursday evening. GOOD JOB AGAIN

Matt

Just paddling out to 150 feet of water is man-ing up! I just don't have the stones to go that far offshore in a "rowable life jacket" :o

...let alone effectively fish out of it.

Great job!!!!!!

yep - you got balls man! I have trolled out of my yak, but not that far on the Big O and certainly not towing a big dipsey! I've never heard of anyone having sonar on their yak, but that's very cool and yes, you earned those fish! Have you caught any big kings out of your yak? i bet they'd pull you all over the place

tight lines,

dre

Dre,

I have not yet caught a big salmon. My biggest fish to date on the kayak was a 15 pound blue fish on the Atlantic Ocean. And yes, big fish do give you a tow.

Got balls? I do not consider myself to be a risk taker. I take many precautions and carry safety equipment. First, my kayak is a sit-on-top kayak. That means I am not trapped down inside of it. And it has scupper holes that drain water back out to the lake. If waves splash in, the water drains right back out to the lake. And, if I were to flip over and fall out, I can flip the yak upright and crawl back in – similar to how you pull yourself out of the deep end of a pool. I have tried this and it is easy (at least in calm water). I keep my paddle leashed to the kayak so I don’t lose my only mode of transportation if I drop it while preoccupied with fishing. I wouldn’t go far out on the big lake without a marine radio, compass and GPS. My GPS is built into my fish finder. I also use a bright colored kayak and wear a bright colored vest and fly a flag. I want to be visible to other boats.

And of course, the weatherman keeps me off the big lake more than anything...

Here is a recent photo of my boat...

kayak.jpg

Great to see you out there that night. That has to be one crazy time trying to get the fish in the boat....I mean kayak!!! Great job. Hope to see you out there again pounding the kings!!!

Lou

GTN

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png