copper rod and reel

I am looking to buy a copper rod and reel set-up I was just wondering if anyone could help with sizes and makes for the reel and what rods would work. I have never ran copper yet but I want to add to my arsenal. Do you just run them straight with no weights or dipsy?

Okuma Convector 55 is great for copper 250-450'. smaller size copper, an Okuma Convector 45 will do. Okuma leadcore/copper rods (Classic Pro GLT Rod - CP-CL-862M) seem to team up very well with the reels.

Copper is flatlined and ran like leadcore. The length and weight of the coppper line determines its depth.

Visit the A-TOM-MIK web site. Tom sells complete copper set ups. You can buy the following:

-Ready-to-spool copper comes with backing, copper and leader built up so you just tie it to the spool and reel it on. You can order a ready-to-spool set up for any copper-capable reel.

-Copper loaded reels ready to use. Add a rod and a snap swivel and put it in the water.

-Rods for copper rigs

Blue water....I second legacy's suggestion regarding the Okuma classic lead core/ copper rod. Nice backbone for putting the gas to the fish when need be. I really like the Okuma clarion 55 high speed reels. Very smooth. The high gear ratio is very nice.

Diawa makes the Saltist 50. They are very nice reels. In fact all of my rigger rods are equipped with saltist 30s. The Saltist line have great drags as well as the high speed gears.

The Clarion reels have the same gear ratio as the Saltist 50s, however the Clarions are considerably cheaper than the Diawas. IMO the Clarions are quality reels and you won't get beat up at the cash register.....happy shopping.

I'd get 2 reels loaded from Tom @ ATOMIK, a 300 and a 500. I second Rob's advice on the Okuma Classic pro leadcore rods, get the 7' easier to reef on the fish & easier to weave between other rods in the the event of a 'fubar' fish behind the boat.. Run the coppers off the big boards out to the side - you will be glad you did !(use the big Scotty power grip releases) If you are going to run them off inlines you better get a 400 instead of a 500'. I run 20lb leaders on 300' and shorter w/ spoons, you can just add them on w/ a sampo micro swivel and remove it when you run a FF combo.-Andy

I have the Okuma convector 55 and an Okuma clarion 553. Both are outstanding reels for copper but I got to say this Clarions high speed is the only way to go. ;) Especially when it comes to copper. Pair it with Okuma's classic pro GLT copper/leadcore rod as mentioned earlier.

• 8 months later...

I use only Penn 345. It will hold 600' of copper with 300 yards of backing. I now have 3 reels paired up with Okuma Classic Pro GLT copper/leadcore rods. A great combo I have used on the water. Works well for me.

Just sent 15 reels in for service to Tuna's Reel Troubles for new drags and maint.

Also bought 5 new reels from them. Convector 55LHS.

Convector 55l"s with high speed gearing 6.2:1, wide mouth levelwind guide and Dragmaster

carbon fiber drag washers.

$99.99

Brian

• 3 months later...

I have been using my Okuma 55 high speed for copper and love the 6.2 :1 retrieve . After a few times out the clicker spring broke . Call Tunas Reel Trouble where I bought and he mailed out the new spring with extras one hour after he got my email . Had them 2 days later . AMAZING SERVICE :yes::clap: