Catch and Release for Kings out of Sandy?

Hey Everybody, just a question for all the Sandy Creek anglers on how much catch and release fishing is going on for the kings. I have kept a fish a trip so my catch and release rate is high. Just wondering what others are doing. As a side note, I fill my rear baitwell with fresh water for each fish landed and I place the fish in it net and all. Take out the hook, remove the net and get a quick pic. Other than for the pic, the fish is breathing in fresh water the whole time. I have only had one fish stay on surface after release and we went back and got her. Any replies will be appreciated! Thanks, Tank

Tank,

We are about the same as you - we keep no more than one fish a trip and we get out there mabye once or twice a week. We usually only keep a 6-10 pounder if we get one in that range. We never keep mature ones and try to minimize the time out of the water for them to avoid stressing them too much.

I'm with you guys, catch & release (with picture of course)!

Let them live to fight another day and let others enjoy the catch.

Wish there were more like us, but I think we are the minority. Don't get me wrong, I think people should keep fish if they are going to eat them or get them mounted, but to see a charter boats "board" filled up for a photo (especially with non-mature fish) sickens me. Just how many fish are the clients going to eat? More than likely, alot sit in the bottom of the freezer and eventually tossed. I know the clients are paying good money to catch and keep fish , but I can only hope the charter captains try and discourage them from keeping non-mature fish. It is their future income, and our future enjoyment.

Just my opinion, and don't mean to piss others off, but if you're not gonna eat it ,don't kill it!

Everyone has their own opinion and stance on this matter I'm sure, and noone can be totally right or wrong. It's up to the individual to do what he/ she thinks is right.

GOOD FISHING ALL! :D

LTtroller

(Bob)

Catch and release for every fish- except when it will make the leaderboard for the derby.

About once a year, I will keep fish, fillet, and give away to family and friends.

From my expereinces at the 3 marinas and docks along the creek, I think the VAST majority of boats (that dock) on the creek are all catch and release.

I do not know about those that use the public launch.

I do keep some mature salmon for the neighbors and in the late summer for egg skein. I try to let most steelhead, lakers and browns go. If they come back to the dock in the cooler, it is because they did not swim, a derby fish or a wall hanger. The steelhead, browns and lakers are stock in smaller numbers and are not going to die after they spawn. With the stocking problems with lakers, I hope most charter captains and rec. fishermen are using their heads when it comes to these fish.

Thanks so far guys!! I am definately encouraged....LT's second line said it all. Great replies. I view all fishing from the viewpoint of selective harvest (for me) Thanks again!! Tank

Awesome guys!!!!! being new to fishing Sandy for kings I was curious as there are at times 30 boats between the Nose and Wautoma. Sounds like everyone is very future fishery oriented(even though I know the biggest fish die after they spawn or all that spawn) mainly curious to know how many 2-3 yr olds are being released !!!! AWESOME!!!! 8)

Absolutely catch and release only on this guys boat :D I even put the lakers (when one wonders onto my line :x back to "fight" :lol::lol::lol::lol: another day unless it goes belly up or is a nasty gushing bleeder like I got today! What causes that anybody know? Had the same thing happen during the Pro Am. Looked like Nicole Brown Simpson's front steps :shock:

Only fish kept, are if it's going on someones wall.

Been doing it for years....Ive personally Kept 2 kings for the wall in the past 10 years. The rest have gone back except derby fish.

Spent many a day out on the swim platform reviving fish for the send back.

To date the only fish Ive Kept that were not in the derby were a37# Fall male and a 40# summer hen king......Both made sweet mounts. Now if you talk walleye and perch.....Fill your limits and I'll start the fryers

WOW!! I didn't expect such a great response for releasing...I will keep nothing for the rest of the year(unless it dies) Missdemeanor- you or I have to get Dean out!! We'll fill his schedule between Turkey and Deer!!

How much can ya eat... YOu get one nice king and thats a meal.. The only time I keep fish if people want them.. And Myself I dont want them... So I through back most of my fish.. first of all I have to catch a fish in order to even think about keepin it.... Its not a hard decision when the net never hits the water ;););):lol::lol:

My family and my 2 sister's families all eat fresh fish. I fillet it and they eat it. I don't keep more than what my small freezer will hold and by Springtime it's empty. We all enjoy the taste of Salmon whether it's smoked or fresh. Browns or Steelhead are another story. Most other species are CPR'd though. Except walleye.

We are always in catch and release mode unless it's a weigher for the Derby. I'm such a catch and release guy that we threw back a monster Laker during the first week of the derby. We didn't think it would last the leaderboard even though it probably would have taken 3rd place at the worst. Foster Miller from School Master was with us and always reminds me that I was the one that threw it back twice (we swung around to revive it a second time because it was such a nice fish).

Jeremy Miller

My Mink

C & R as much as possible except for a few derby fish. No sense on keeping ones that will go back, you'll have your share that will swallow it as well as flop themselves to death in the back of the boat anyway, they're the ones to keep and eat or give away...

C & R has really become the way of life for most rec fishermen in the lake, we're all conscience of the delicate balance of this fishery, but we also recognize that netting these fish and handling them will kill a certain percentage of the fish.

My brother caught his first sailfish two weeks ago off Charleston, SC, since it was his first sail and the 17 year old with him caught it, they decided to hoist it over and snap a picture, then C&R the fish... the kid posted the picture on the forum down there and he proceeded to get a ration of BS for being a fish killer... apparently, there are "Billfish" laws governing that you cannot take a billfish out of the water unless you plan on keeping it... Florida has also passed legislation to aggressively go after violaters of these laws.

I just hope that the delicate balance we have and the techniques we need to use on this lake are not compromised by beureaucrats and PETA in the future.

Silverbullet

catch and release guy that we threw back a monster Laker

NEVER WANT TO THROW THOSE BACK :shock: IT'S JUST ONE MORE THAT MIGHT STUMBLE ONTO MY LINE :shock: :x AND RUIN MY DAY :!: THEN AGAIN IT WOULD MAKE GAMBLERS DAY :P:lol: