Scents

Question for all you Salmon pro's. Do you use scents or not ? If so, what's your favorite? I know some use wd-40, anise oil, smelly jelly and so on....what and why?

We have a mild debate on our boat on using scents. I keep a few onboard, but don't use them much. One evening I cleaned the boat and got Bleachwhite on the downrigger balls so i rinsed them off and soaked them with scent over night. Next morning we had the best morning of the entire week. I just can't remember the name of the scent I used..maybe Clark remembers?

Maybe it was the scent...maybe just being in the right place @ the right time ??

Rod

Rod,

Now if I tell what the secret scent is then it would not be a secret anymore. Lets just say that Salmon have an incredible sense of smell, ie return to the salmon river they were born in, so the use of scents is good. Now whether it is to cover human scent or the actual baitfish scent I can't tell you but it works. I like to put scent on my hands before I start to rig for the day and will apply more to the lures and hands through out the day. See me Friday, and maybe I will share :roll: . See ya then.

Rich

lol....I hear ya Rich. I'll talk to you Friday. I'm just curious how many of you guys are firm believers in using "something". For example, I don't get why wd-40 works?? I met some guys last week who swear by it, and they outfished me by more than a couple fish that day.

if it looks like bait,smells like bait it must be bait! i always run it on my spoons, i did a scent experiment a few years ago, i split the boat in half, one side with scent the other with out, the side with scent took more fish so i added one rod with scent on the other side and it took a hit, now all get scent. before setting l;ines put some on your hands to hide any neg. scent smells..it makes the morning doughnuts taste better too!!

Rodney,

Sure I know what it was. But like Rich said if everyone knows it, it wouldn't be a secret. As far as one side getting scent and firing more often, I think it's totally unproven that it's the scent because I have had too many days wher only one rigger or on wire on only one side would produce. It usually is the port side on my boat. Have taken 90% of all the big fish we have caught from the port side whether rigger, wire, spoon , attractor fly or cut bait. Adding the rod to the non-productive side - for me it isn't enough proof it was the scent.

just my $.02