Trolling tips/jigging tips for Canandaguia

Can anyone give me a quick setup for fishing canandaguia? I am more versed in fishing Ontario but am going to to give Canandaguia a try tomorrow. I'm interested in what lures and at what speed to troll and I just read about people jigging....what kind of setup should I be jigging with?

Depending on what time your heading out I would start with trolling. Any kind of silver spoon down about 30fow and back 70-100 should produce bows at 2.3-2.8mph. Plenty suspended out over deep water. Lakers are 50 down to the bottom and ff combos and spoons should produce.

As far as jigging....I prefer plastics and Kastmasters. Any jigging spoon or bucktail will work as long as you find active fish. I fish 1oz typically under 120fow. Go heavier if drifting at all. Most active fish on the jig will be just suspended off bottom and you will know quick if there positive, neg, or neutral. Dont spend too much time in any one spot if there not hitting. Timing is everything on Canandaigua. They will hit slow and short strike and then its like a switch is flipped and they will chase and hit all the way to the boat even with 72 degree surface water! Good luck!

Hey, thanks a lot for the tips! I'll be sure to report back on how we do. Gonna go with downriggers and spoons, maybe a dipsy and maybe a SD/Fly...if it gets real boring, we'll try to jig something up. Not sure how much everyone else will be into the jigging part though. Good luck!

I guess I missed part of your post Chuck.....are you saying to put the spoons 70-100' behind the ball? I only put them about 15-20 back. We ended up with 2 releases and one was a small laker. Both were on the west side, in 150 FOW, the fish came on a NK28 NBK as did the to other release we didn't get. We marked a fair amount of fish and bait, but nothing wanted to play...maybe I didn't have a long enough lead on the riggers?

General rule of thumb is the "rule of 100". If your 30ft down then 70' back, 10' down and 90' back etc. etc.. Its a good starting point and you can increase or decrease from there. FF combos generally do better on short leads off the ball. Lakers are certainly attracted to the rigger weights and will streak to the balls to check them out so a flasher fly tight on the ball will generally take more hits. I like to run long leads for bows and use alot of S turns to keep the spoons at varrying speeds and swinging off the sides of the boat.