Concern Against The King Of The Lake

I could be wrong here, but today when I was watching the tourney I saw atleast 30+ coolers going in for the weigh in. Now on average, each cooler had 4-5 fish, that's 150+ salmon in one day. Now I have nothing against fishing what so ever, as long as you either throw the fish back or eat it which im sure most people do, but instead of saying " ok guys bring your 5 heaviest fish" why not just bring two in?. In the end it will work out to the EXACT same, and you'll have more fish left in the lake.

I'm not trying to sound like some activist or anything, I just don't understand the logic behind this tourney and the number you can bring in. You're still keeping your heaviest fish, so what difference would it make if you could only bring 2 instead of 5. If you can correct me please do. I'm only saying this because I know there are guys out there who won't do anything with the fish they catch and it seems like a waste. In the past I've seen guys just throw the dead fish back into the lake, which is ok I guess something will eat it, but you could have done something better like given it to someone.

I'm only 22 I'm still new to the whole tournament thing so if I'm wrong on how King of the Lake works please inform me. I just honestly see the whole 5 fish thing completely pointless when you do the math.

Well If ya think about it for a moment or two its not so bad.

The derbys you refer to are salmon only, and it is a 5 biggest that allows many smaller fish and other spiecies to be released.

A salmon at best lives 4 to 4.5 years 99% of the spawners mature at 3.5 years.

If yer familure with the life cycle of a salmon 100% of those big fish weighed in will of died this fall... and i garentee ya ant no one gonna eat a dead moldy salmon this fall.that died on its own..

We dont wait for deer to die of old age then wander through the woods looking for a meal.

The reason those salmon are put in the lake as cruel as it might sound to ya is for our enjoyment..we have bought and paid in one way or another for the right to catch and remove the fish from the lake for what ever reason....

Yes at the derbys when you see 30 coolers and 150 fish it might seem like a lot and it is at one spot to the average eye ...but we stock millions, for our enjoyment and many more reprodece on theis own ..

Many local groups on the U.S.A. side benifit from (our) derbys they provide a food source to many without a means to catch fresh benifite from....

If you see fish being dumped in a dumpster as a norm at these events (and i doubt you do) dont sit back and complain about the destiny of the fish , But Get togeather with local food pantrys,church groups,and any local groups that help the needy WITH YOUR EFFORTS..YOU WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT OUTLOOK TO THE DERBYS AND LOOK FORWARD TO FULL COOLERS BEING BROUGHT TO THE DOCKS AS THE SMILES ON THE FACE OF THOSE YOU HELP WARMS YER SOUL....

So get on the phone NOW with your friends and get a little fillet party staged at the cleaning station and show up at weigh in with your own coolers and turn yer complaints to complements from the needy..

Ray K.

12 fish? damn, i have a hard enough time right now catching 2 if I'm lucky :P.

It's not that it really bugs me, I just didn't really understand it but yea when you think about how many we put back into the lake it doesn't seem a lot at all.

I was at the weigh in yesterday, & there were staff from the MNR taking many samples from a lot of fish for research, then people were lined up for free fish later. I saw a lot of smiling faces with people carrying their coolers back to their vehicle with fresh Salmon. I did not see any go to waste.