clayton, the 1000 islands

I would head out to the lake in front of mud bay. There are two islands (Fox and Grenadier) that have some nice SM living around. There is also a red bard outside of mud bay where a hole is. That holds a lot of SM too. AS for Walleye, Im sure the shoals right out the mouth of the river are holding them.

If you can get down to where Yankee suggests, I'm sure you'll find good fishing. That's a 40 mile one way run by water for me from our camp, so I've only done it once.

As for Clayton, to be honest I have fished the lake this year more than the river, but Fishers Landing ( just a few miles east of Clayton) is a favorite area of mine when I get the time. Right across from Rock Island light on the opposite side of the channel is a great shoal and a drop off that always yields nice bass and eyes in off peak boating times. I'll run the 15 miles from our camp just to jig that ledge at dawn.

Best of luck

Rod

The bass fishing around Clayton has been fantastic this week. I spent about an hour an a half messing around fishing for smallies today. I caght about a dozen and lost a few more. I worked about twenty yards of water along a shoal, drifting with the current to the end of the shoal and then returning to the same starting position to do it again. I don't consider myself a much of a bass fishermen but I do like the fight smallmouth bass have. I can just imagine the results that some of the local bass fishermen are experiencing. Stop in to the 1000 Islands bait shop or visit their website to get an active report.

Irish Hammer

Clayton, NY