Sandy 6-26 evening kayak action my first atlantic on kayak.

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Flyboy/yellow kayak

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s):6/26

Time on Water:5:00 PM - 8:30 PM

Weather/Temp: partly cloudy 70 degrees

Wind Speed/Direction: NW 7 mph

Waves: <1 ft

Surface Temp: 61

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 4

Total Boated: 3

Species Breakdown: laker, king, Atlantic, steelhead

Hot Lure: NK28 Green/black

Boat Depth: 75 - 160 FOW

Lure Depth: 50'

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

With the winds calming down this evening, my friend Andrew and I took our kayaks out for some trolling. I got there before he did and decided to scout the water and try to find the fish. I passed a good debris line at about 60 FOW. I didn't mark any fish so I kept paddling north. I didn't mark anything more as I continued out, so turned around when I reached 160 FOW. I knew Andrew would be there soon and I had told him to paddle out to the scum line at 60 FOW and I'd meet him there. I picked up a skipper king at 110 FOW, trolling my dipsy at about 50' down. I met Andrew when I got back to the scum line, was now about 90 FOW. We trolled around that area for the rest of the evening - between 75 and 110 FOW. Andrew was the first to land one in that area - a nice steelhead. Not long after, I landed a good sized laker. We noticed some fish hitting bait on the surface near the scum line. So, I did something that I don't normally do - I put out a second rod. This one had a spoon flat lined out the back. I know better than to have more than one rod out on a kayak. Well, I hooked up on my first drag-screamer on the kayak. The Atlantic made several good jumps before I got it close to the kayak. At that point, I realized that the second line was a tangle hazard waiting to happen since I was drifting towards it as I battled the fish (motor shuts off when I set down the paddle). I put fish-on rod in the rod holder and reeled in the other line as quickly as I could. Lucky for me, the single hook stayed in the salmon's mouth (I don't like having a fish flopping around on my lap with a treble hook in it's mouth) and I landed my first "real" salmon in the kayak. It was 30" long and weighed 17 lbs.

17_lb_salmon.jpg

thats pretty cool, ,,,,,,,,,,,Hey their kinda pricy but i bought my son a Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak last year you can cruse all day and never get yer paddle wet,just got him some turbo fins lookin forward to try.,,,,,.In fla i would troll 8 to 10 miles and never break a sweat .landed a nice 60,70 lb Black Drum near fort meyers...nuttin compares to a L.O. salmon (havent hooked up with tarpon from yak yet) ...Be carefull ...

hey I seen you out there tonight just wondering how you did? when I was heading out I seen your boat at the state launch and thought you were going in not just heading out I did not want to be out there in my 26' boat not say nothing about your boat great job you are the man if you ever need anything out there give me a call on the radio

hey I seen you out there tonight just wondering how you did? when I was heading out I seen your boat at the state launch and thought you were going in not just heading out I did not want to be out there in my 26' boat not say nothing about your boat great job you are the man if you ever need anything out there give me a call on the radio

Jeff, I didn't catch anything on Monday night when you saw me. I made it to 150 FOW but didn't mark much. I think those waves were getting to about two feet high. It's better to keep the paddle in my hands and have control of my kayak in conditions like that. Maybe not catching anything was a good thing.

Jude