dipsey rule of thumbs?

Is it true that you multiply the depth x 3 to determine how much line to let out to hit bottom on the #2 setting with wire?

What are good general colors to try for dipseys bright or dull?

Is it better with the ring or not?

Is a length of the rod leader with flourocarbon 20# ok?

Thanks in advance from a longtime bass fisherman but only a part time trout guy (when its calm enough for a 16 foot boat).

Is it true that you multiply the depth x 3 to determine how much line to let out to hit bottom on the #2 setting with wire?

What are good general colors to try for dipseys bright or dull?

Is it better with the ring or not?

Is a length of the rod leader with flourocarbon 20# ok?

Thanks in advance from a longtime bass fisherman but only a part time trout guy (when its calm enough for a 16 foot boat).

First question, that is what I do. Its a good approximation.

Second question, Black, Kelley Green, Clear

The ring adds surface area to the diving surface. Without the ring you will lose your 3 feet out to one foot down ratio.

The length of the rod with 20lb flurocarbon is a good start. Some times the fish want it shorter some times they want it longer.

Don't forget a clear snubber.

Doesnt the snubber make it look more unnatural than it already does? What purpose does it serve? Thanks

The snubber adds a stress relief for the terminal gear that is taking the hit.... as far as unnatural , the basic idea is a big fish slashing thru bait and the fly is a bait fish that did not get eaten. They don't really care about "presentation"

Are the brightly colored dipseys suppose to act as an attractor? I hear clear is good but there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to dipsey colors. Anyone got that part figured out as far as a general rule of thumb for colors? (dark color on a dark day, etc. ? Thanks

You don't need flourocarbon for leaders between dipsy and flasher; you can use regualar mono. I use 30# copolymer Yozuri myself. I use 25 to 30 flourocarbon for dipsy to spoon leaders for kings and 12 to 15 pound for browns.

just because the flashers put a lot of strain on and the hits are vicious. I haven't used snubbers for years and seldom ever have a fish come unbuttoned on a diver with the 50 lb. Besides a diver with a flasher really isn't a stealth presentation and the 50 lb certainly hasn't hurt any.

Tim

i use 40lb ande mono without a snubber for flasher and flys and 30 lb flourocarbon when i use spoons....ill run a longer lead on one and short lead on the other and let the fish tell me what they prefer......for dypsy i use green with yellow ring....

why so heavy for flasher/flys? 50 lb.???

Like Tim said, it is not a stealth presentation. It is a noisy, whirling dervish down below. The noise, thump and flash attract the fish. They are not going to see the leader with the tilt-a-whirl in their face.

Additionally, you have $25 of tackle behind the dipsy. $40 if you count the dipsy. Not many of us can afford to lose these rigs on a regular basis. It's not like dropping a worm over the side of the boat. River fishermen report catching kings 10 miles up stream trailing dipsies, flashers and flies. I've seen em but, I 've only recovered flies. I'm stilll looking to catch a flasher.

You can go lighter with spoons off riggers. Many start at 17 lb and go up to 30 lb. Took a mature king last time up on a brown trout rig using 12lb. It raises the stakes but you just need to pay attention to the drag. There's an long-time charter captain on the East end who specializes in light tackle king fishing. He has gone as light as 4 lb with good success. Drag setting is critical. Flouro carbon is not nearly as critical for kings down deep wherre the light is dim. You can tie direct to mono or add a short flouro leader off a swivel. If you use the swivel, tend your lines a bit more during flea season as they can lock up a swivel quickly.

• 2 weeks later...