No success while trolling, sadface, help

Hey Bluewater - what would you say we need to take off the dipsey charts if we are using steel or copper line. Should I cut 10 - 20% back off what the chart recommends?

I am just getting in to the wire game, I was using mono up untill 2 years ago so I can't really give you specifics on that one. All I can tell you is last week I had my dipsys (actually I use walker deeper divers, same basic thing) out 230 ish and I was dragging bottom at 100 fow, using mono with that length I might have got 60-70 feet deep maybe. Nothing like wire though, you feel everything and it is much easier to get deep with less line out. Not too mention it is EXTREMELY hard to release the clip on a dipsy with mono, way too much stretch (sorry not too get off topic, just love that wire).

You can run your fly leader through the fly from the top or bottom, and they can be run either way. Though many of us like it run the other way from the way yours is set up so that the fly material is pulled back over the collar of the fly when being trolled, thus making the fly bigger and provide a bit more attraction.

May seem like just a little thing, but there are many little things in Salmon fishing that make the differance between a skunk and a full box. The other big issue in my opinion is time on the water - not just learning, but time with rods in the water. Many of us pre salmon fishing were used to putting good numbers of fish in the boat. Even great fisherman get skunked occasionally salmon fishing. Put your time in and you will catch. Get good on the little things and you will catch more.

What's the length of your leader between flasher and fly and between flasher and dipsey?

I would say 6-8 feet. I'm going down to my boat today to re-do them all and make a couple flies following the video by fishdoctor charters. I just need to pick up a couple hooks, I noticed that the hooks for flies have a little bend by the eye and the one that I attached did not. Also I need to use the proper knot this time I understand how that can make a huge difference on how the hook/fly behaves.

Dear Howitzer,

!. Speed is VERY IMPORTANT. Troll with one engine @ dead idle (under 900 RPM) until you can get a pair of LARGE trolling bags. 2.0 to 2.5 on your GPS will be excellent for all the cold water in your area.

2. The fish in your area will be in the top 100 FT. of water all summer unless the wind blows out of the east for two days or more. After todays 25 to 30 mph westerly blow, your surface temps will be near 45F. (Best Guess from fishing there for 5 years).

3. Run small spoons NK 28 size and smaller. Fish over the drop offs and the "mine field off Oshawa". Keep looking for the bait pods on your screen.

The best accent color is still blue & pearl tape on a black & white or black & silver spoon. Lead length off the riggers should be approx. the water clarity distance. I.E. Cold Water=25 ft. lead. Sliders are good on your side of the pond and will produce many rainbows. DO NOT RUN LARGE TERMINAL TACKLE. 25 to 30 lb. test swivels are great . Use coastlock type swivels for best results. Run 7 ft 20 to 25# test flurocarbon leaders using a palomar knot on the snap swivel.

4. On flat water, high sun days, run one rigger just off the bottom on the

drop-offs. (structure)....Above all slow DOWNNNN!. When you finally catch a fish, let us KNOW!! You are in the best place in LO for catching fish now to approx. 2nd week in August!(Or when you get a 3 day Easterly blow!) Then the salmon will make big moves towards the Yankee side!.........Respectfully submitted,......Jet-X Boat Bill (formerly of Bluffers Park)

Dear Howitzer,

!. Speed is VERY IMPORTANT. Troll with one engine @ dead idle (under 900 RPM) until you can get a pair of LARGE trolling bags. 2.0 to 2.5 on your GPS will be excellent for all the cold water in your area.

2. The fish in your area will be in the top 100 FT. of water all summer unless the wind blows out of the east for two days or more. After todays 25 to 30 mph westerly blow, your surface temps will be near 45F. (Best Guess from fishing there for 5 years).

3. Run small spoons NK 28 size and smaller. Fish over the drop offs and the "mine field off Oshawa". Keep looking for the bait pods on your screen.

The best accent color is still blue & pearl tape on a black & white or black & silver spoon. Lead length off the riggers should be approx. the water clarity distance. I.E. Cold Water=25 ft. lead. Sliders are good on your side of the pond and will produce many rainbows. DO NOT RUN LARGE TERMINAL TACKLE. 25 to 30 lb. test swivels are great . Use coastlock type swivels for best results. Run 7 ft 20 to 25# test flurocarbon leaders using a palomar knot on the snap swivel.

4. On flat water, high sun days, run one rigger just off the bottom on the

drop-offs. (structure)....Above all slow DOWNNNN!. When you finally catch a fish, let us KNOW!! You are in the best place in LO for catching fish now to approx. 2nd week in August!(Or when you get a 3 day Easterly blow!) Then the salmon will make big moves towards the Yankee side!.........Respectfully submitted,......Jet-X Boat Bill (formerly of Bluffers Park)

Thanks for the advice, I do run pretty large spoons that could be another problem. I'll try using my small ones this weekend and see what comes up, ill post pictures if I get anything.