Your Rods " bow " When Trolling

Does the amount of the bow matter when your trolling? Last night when we were trolling with the riggers, the rods had such a bow in them that the rod tip almost touched the water, is this too much?

And a little off topic, but is I wanna try and get a king salmon, are they mostly sitting at the very bottom?

you want as much bow as possible to take the slack line out. dont worry about being close to the water line.

as far as the kings go, they should be setting up in the deeper thermoclines very soon, if not right now. here on the east end, we're finding them from 100-300, and they're all over the water column (as of last week) from 60-150'. once a solid thermocile sets up, the kings will follow. get a good down & speed temp, and that should make things a little easier for ya.

gl

Trolling too fast will cause a huge bow in your rods, butyou should have a pretty good bow in them anyway. Salmon can be anywhere in the water column depending on many things, time of year, weather, sun or cloudy.

The best you can do is if you have a good graph, set up where the best concentration of fish are that you are seeing, sometimes you can see the thermocline on your graph and it may look like a line across your screen. When all else fails use this site for it's intended purpose to help people catch more fish and interact with other fisherman. You can always count on up to date reports every day.

yep exactly, i checked my witter this morning and guys were saying that the kings were all around 80-120 feet. It's not going to be the same everyday so just go out and put lines out at all sorts of depth, see what you catch.

I've spent the last house trying to set up my dipsy rod, man copper wire is a pain in the ass, kept fraying on me and had to keep cutting it down.

Are you trying to set up copper for a wire diver? Copper is a different presentation that is flatlined (like lead core) either down the chute or off of planer boards.

Braided stainless steel wire is used for divers, usually 30 lb wire. lots of good brands out there. I like Malin personally, but Mason, AFW and Torpedo wire are all popular brands as well.

AFW - http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/lee.htm

Malin - http://www.howiestackle.com/index.php?categoryID=8

Tim

Are you trying to set up copper for a wire diver? Copper is a different presentation that is flatlined (like lead core) either down the chute or off of planer boards.

Braided stainless steel wire is used for divers, usually 30 lb wire. lots of good brands out there. I like Malin personally, but Mason, AFW and Torpedo wire are all popular brands as well.

AFW - http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/lee.htm

Malin - http://www.howiestackle.com/index.php?categoryID=8

Tim

so are you saying i should scrap the whole copper wire idea?, or can it still work if I put it deep enough. I don't have any of those boards or anything and don't know what you mean by chute. All I have are 2 big john down riggers.

Yup - thanks guys - I'll try the 80 - 120 ft depth.

Just bought myself some new Spin Doctors and flies - will try those out at 80 ft this weekend.

Will also try some red and blue spoons at 60 - 100 ft.

My boat is a tad small (20 footer), so I figure I can get 3 lines in the water without tangling everything

up, so will set up for 60 ft, 80 ft and 100 ft depths.

Have a good one guys - and remember fishing is like enticing someone into having fun loving.

You spend a lot of time and money trying to get some action, and then one day you finally hook up with a beauty for a quick grind, which makes it all worthwhile...

mark, i have a 17' alumacraft and can run 6 rods without issue (for the most part :lol: ), 2-3 off the 2 riggers, a copper down the chute, and 2 dipseys or 1 dipsey and a planer w/coppers on the sides . without riggers, you could do 4-5 with some rod holders set in key positions. 2 dipseys, and 3 coppers, or 2 thumpers and a copper. lots of ways to effectivly fish from your boat. this spring brown fishing we had 6 lines out and 5 fish on with 3 of us in the boat!! fun times, but complete caos also. gl

Guys - I can't measure the horizontal thermocline - don't have the rig.

Am I dead fishing for kings - or is there another old fisherman's trick I can use - other than looking for where everyone else is fishing???

Thanks.

You hijacked this thread. Suggest you start a new thread when changing topics. It enables future searches for everyone.

Edit: I see you started a thread 4 days earlier titled "Finding the Thermocline". You should repost there.

Sorry!

Didn't mean to hijack the page. My fault. Was in and out of too many topics and didn't realize what I was doing.

If anyone has a response to the thermocline issue please visit my topic on Finding the Thermocline.

Thanks. Sorry again.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Down the Chute means the middle of the back of your boat. Usually in between the two down riggers if you have one on each side, its some times the best place to land a fish especially if you are running planer and dipseys off to the sides. Copper and LC lines can sometimes get tangled when landing the fish or I should say the other way around.