Prop Lesson

It's not like I didn't listen to the advice on prop selection but I did miss one important fact. The props have to be of the same make and model or changing from one pitch to another will not make the desired 200 rpm change. My engine toppped out at 3900 rpm WOT and I would like it to be closer to 4200 rpms.(engine rated for 4400 rpms max) Since my current prop was a 14.75 x 19P SS I purchased a Solas 14.75 x 18P SS. Unfortunately my rpms increased by 600 at WOT which is 100 RPMs over the limit. I guess this is not a serious problem if I don't go wide open. I was hoping to get a few more rpms at trolling speed which the new prop will certainly do. Is there any other concerns with this setup? I could buy a Solas prop in 19P and probably get the correct rpms but I would rather spend that money on fishing more. On my next trip I plan to use a digital tach to verify the actual rpms.

High Bidder

HB If you tested your boat in fishing mode than be sure you dont over-rev it. If you tested it empty than it may perform well when you fish it due to all the extra weight.. That would stink to blow coin on a prop that is not ideal, but i think having more "nut" is better on a fishing boat than going for optimum RPM. You may have to back off it after planing off to prevent over-reving.

Like said above ya should be fine ...600 rpm is hudge for 1 deg of pitch either ya wernt testing under same load (weight) ,the pitch isnt what ya thought it was ,or the rpm guage is off...my 17p was great with 2 or 3 people but filled up with gear ,gas,and 4 guys ut uh... the 15p fixed that under load but does tend to leave a little extra throttle when im alone (high rpm) but im shure my tac. ant running true either ....just be carefull (throttle)running light ....