The Spook Fly.....here it is !

I've had a few pm's asking about this fly, because it has bee such a stud while we were testing it this spring. I think it's now available from Big Weenie Brand on their website. It's a flashabou fly :yes: It's not as blue as it appears in the picture. It's been our best fly this year so far ;)

The Spook, from Big Weenie Brand

newfly.jpg

i have the same fly, newb question but should i insert the fishing line starting from the left side of that pic, or should i run it up coming from the right side. I inserted the line on a different fly starting at the head, and when i dragged it through the water it just looked a mess.

On a Flashabou fly, either way works. I have never seen one look a mess "in" the water. I take it by the head with one hand and flip it over, turning it inside out, so to speak (like a mylar fly). With the other hand, I just grip the top of the fly and twist, molding the fly into shape. Then insert the line from the bottom, up through the top and tie your leader.

Flashabou comes to life in the water. Out of the water it gets limp and looks like a stick. Don't let that fool you....it will realy puff out and has great action in the water.

I see you are in Whitby. The spook was good there, so was the proctologist :yes:

I forgot to mention to add a few beads between the fly body and hook before putting the fly on the line. Enough beads so that the hook is at the bottom of the fly. Good luck fishing !

Tim,

I know, right? I figured that is what people would expect when I posted the name in reports. The guy it's named after (Luke, from lLiving The Dream) has the nickname "spook".....thus the name.

Mike,

Here is the best I could do with my phone camera.

Jons Little Salmon Tackle Shop in Mexico has a few of these in stock. He's the only one on the east end that has them :yes:

rigged_spook.jpg

This is how we run the flashabou flies, long and narrow with the thread toward the flasher not bent over like Rod does it :lol: . The flashabou is differant in the water than mylar and when you take it out it looks really narrow. They catch tons of fish and hold up awesome. They will work either way but I like them like this but to each his own.

Tim, what Rod said, Luke is a good friend and Karen and I think of him as 1 of our kids and he goes by Spook. Big Weenie does not in any way condone offensive names ;)

I know :lol: I started running them reversed this year and the fish seem to like them both ways. They look a little bigger in the water reversed, and our alewives have been huge this year. Like I said, both ways catch fish :yes:

Most mylar flies are cut the same, either regular cut or fine cut. Flashabou as a whole runs much thinner. The spook fly is made with material that is about 100 strands per inch, super fine.Almost looks alive in the water. Now the Proctologist fly has 3 flashabou materials in it. 2 about 1/69th of a inch wide 1 about 1/100th of an inch wide but the glow is stiffer so when reversed the glow doesnt seem to bend as well as the others. Also flashabou does not come banded they are loose strands. Just a bit of info, Thanks guys, BW

This is how we run the flashabou flies, long and narrow with the thread toward the flasher not bent over like Rod does it :lol: . The flashabou is differant in the water than mylar and when you take it out it looks really narrow. They catch tons of fish and hold up awesome. They will work either way but I like them like this but to each his own.

Tim, what Rod said, Luke is a good friend and Karen and I think of him as 1 of our kids and he goes by Spook. Big Weenie does not in any way condone offensive names ;)

BW, nothing to do with being offensive, a black spoon with glow ladderback tape has been know as a spook for many years, so I was expecting the fly to be the same color pattern.

Tim

Chrome green dot spinny, white green dot spinny, black with green halo tape spinny, gator and albino gator have all worked at different times. It has been the first fly down and last fly out for us on lake O. I am sure many other paddles would work well :yes:

Hey Everyone, just wanted to update you on the spook fly....It sucks and you should buy a different fly from Big Weenie until it stops sucking, or until I get more for myself (whichever comes first) :rofl::rofl:

Just got a call from my buddies fishing this weekend and I guess they are about out of spooks...and it's hot again. Ummmm, I mean it sucks but they want some more incase it gets hot (cause ya just never know, right?)

I called Big Weenie's shipping department (Karen) and told them they need to ramp up production on this fly cause they only have a few left in stock and the kings are eatng them up! Karen promised me she won't feed Gary till he gets enough made. I think she's gonna give him a snack for like each 50 he ties....something like that :lol:

So, I think I learned my lesson about reporting on a HOT fly before the end of tournament season :D

Hey Rod, While I was making more at 430 am this morning I am sure you still had your PJs with the footsies in them on. Matt got bigfish friday at the Pro Am with a kingseeker I heard can you check that out. No flies for you until Jon gets a happy meal, LOL, BW