Downrigger install on LOWE FS 175

I just bought (2) cannon uni-troll 10 manual riggers. The cannon swivel bases are wider than the gunnels on my boat. I'm planning on mounting the riggers on the gunnels, between the windshield and back of the boat. And using them as side-riggers. Is this a good idea? The back of my boat has a elevated casting platform and i don't want to be standing on that cranking a downrigger in 3 ft+ seas. Plus, i have a swim platform on the starboard side. I don't want to do a board across the back or buy the track systems. Any other ideas? Thanks guys!!

http://www.loweboats.com/showroom/deep- ... /fs175.php

From the picture it looks like they would be fine somewhere in the area of those rear seats, I would suggest the use of an aluminum backing plate inside your gunnel if you can gain access to install. I would also recommend a bow cover to wash off and steep waves you may encounter. good fishing!

What i mean is the wideth of the bolt hole patterns for the cannon swivel mounts...are wider than my gunnell. I know LOWE makes a dr bracket. But from what i've seen (only in photo's off their site), they look like they are made for the non-swivel mounts.

swivel_mount.png

Thanks Adam...but i think my gunnells are too wide for those. I called Congels and they think the LOWE brackets will work with the swivel mounts. I ordered a couple. I guess we'll see. Not real confident on what they said. I got the feeling the guy told me what i wanted to hear. I'll probably end up selling them on ebay for a loss. LOL

Most D/R mounting plates use the same bolt pattern as their swivel mounts. The Lowe picture looks like they are using a Cannon Eazitroll downrigger. Not sure, but I think they use a smaller base and bolt pattern than your Unitrolls. Worst case scenario might be that you will need a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate for each base that you could mount on the Lowe bracket, then drill and tap for a bigger bolt pattern on the Unitroll, if in fact, it is bigger. I've used Big Jon swivels with Cannon pedestals and other miss matched stuff by making adapter plates.

You could try something like a track that goes accross the boat . Then you can take it off when you want to bass fish. Or a track that would bolt to the gunnel and then mount the swivels to the track.

Here is my set up for riggers on a smaller boat. I have a removable board across the back with room for four riggers. There are ball babies and a Scotty rod holder/accessory mount dead center.. The set up in the picture is of the boat at an electric motor only lake. When I just want to go bass or river fishing the board stays home.

The board is just a carpeted 2x6 attached to what are called Eagles Feet. I got them some time ago from Cabela's I don't know if they are still on the market or not. You can use the clamp ons and do the same thing. I am in the process of making another board with a track so I can use ratchet holders on the ends for use with dipsy rods.

IMG_2794.jpg

EDIT I found a link to the Eagle Feet mentioned above

http://www.tandlproducts.com/products.html