Weird one out of sandy

Fished Sandy today and could not really stay in any kind of good temp. Weird thing was I had 3 break offs!! :shock: One broke off my 50# leader just to the rear end of the dipsey and the other 2 broke the treble right off of two atomik flies. Wound up boating a mid teen and a few skippers. Couldn't really get the riggers going today other than the few mentioned above. All break offs were on wire dipsey setups?? Best screen was in 100-110ft. but couldn't buy a bite there. Took fish in 120-125. Tank

i see the new boat is treating you well. good to see that your getting some action out there and putting some fish in the boat too

side note- 2 weekends ago i had 3 break offs on the wire rods ( all 3 between the dipsey and spin doctor) i feel your pain, expensive weekend for me

Break offs happen sometimes no matter how many times you re check your line or re tie your flys. This time of year they are hitting so aggressively and their mouths are getting harder as the days pass.

Dont let it keep ya down although its hard at 40 dollars and change a set up........ :?

The past week I started retying my flys and leaders after 3-4 fish, has worked for me so far at keeping the break offs down. Just preventative maintenence as well as saving me some frustration. Do it enough and it becomes a habit. ;)

i was talking to a Capt. couple weeks ago and the Concensus at Sodus bay is as the fish swims away pulling at the drag its tail beats the line so many times it wears and weakens the line ..i had this happen at sodus with a big boy ,well seeing i lost it it was a huge monster biggest fish in lake onterio. honest ..........so after every fish take a second to check the line ,the lure you save might be your own.......and dont forget if the fish has the spinny in its moulth (hook) it should fight its self to exhaustion and float to the surface,so keep your eyes open for a bellyup fish (roadkill)and check it out...I got one of mine back that way this year,seagulls should help ya find the fish.....

Rob, yes it has been awesome! Took me awhile to set her up as I needed some help from Dad and Jay and were all busy(although both found time!!). But I got her done and am thrilled about it!! Now what do I do with my bass boat??? I guess Kings will do that to you. See you out there!

Jax and Ray, thanks for the tips guys, I am actually a fanatic knot and line checker. All the setups that broke were brand new each time yesterday :shock: , nonetheless stresses the importance even more!! Thanks, Tank

I had a very similar situation last Labor Day off the Genny, boated several kings on wire divers w/ flasher/fly setups, but busted off 3 right near the treble, all new flies. I believe that when they hit, then turn and run, the flasher is beating them against the tail area, if the treble is fairly deep in their mouth, the line can be back under their gill plate and out the corner of the mouth, combined with the flasher flopping, the mono doesn't stand a chance against the sharp gill plate or corner of the mouth.

I hear you Upgrady! I had a thought this morning that maybe the leader on the fly should be wire at and inside the fly. Obviously you want flourocarbon running to the fly but inside the fly to the hook a short wire piece would be almost totaly conncealed? Anyone agree. It just sucks losing well hooked fish due to leader snaps!! :evil: I will probably experiment the next trip out. Post up if you think I'm nuts or not?? Tank

Upgrady, just read your post again and the wire might have to be long enough to pass the gill plate, which means it would show, but worth trying I think..and I just might!! Tank