Hot Lure: NBK, Lazer Spook

Trolling Speed: 2.2-3.0

Down Speed: n/a

Boat Depth: 170-300

Lure Depth: 30-90

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Started out in 200 FOW and worked out to a quick drop off to 300, then back around 250 for a while. Tried in to about 170, then back out to 200, then trolled back in to about 120 and picked up. Had riggers at 90, 70, 65, and 40 as well as two dipsys on mono out 90' and 140' (2.5 setting). Skipper Kings on the lazer spook and Lakers on the spooks and NBK on the riggers. One coho on the NBK and one on a silver hammer fly behind a LJ flasher (6" long) and the other on a spook on the rigger line. Only marked one good pod of bait and didn't get a hit near it. Pretty much a blank screen otherwise.

Do I need to lauch somewhere else? Is it possible that the fishing is that much better elsewhere on the lake? We've only had one screamer (that didn't make it to the boat) out of I-Bay this year. I'm not sure if I'm just not doing something right, if it seems so much better else where because there aren't any ROC guys really posting on here (I know there's a couple of you), or if it really is a geographical thing. Any suggestions?

Rochester fishing was great all weekend - I haven't posted in awhile b/c my boat was being repaired so I fished with a buddy of mine - Anthony (Pike Hunter) and I usually think it's courtesy to have the captain post a fishing report b/c he found the fish.

First of all, I don't think 6/8 is a bad day at all. Second, it looked like you fished the right depth of water, but the bigger fish were deeper (85'-115' riggers, 225'-300' wire and 600' copper took most of our fish).

We only ran two spoons all weekend (fixed depth rigger and a slider on the same rigger) and 80% of our fish were caught on flasher/fly set-ups on wire, copper and one rigger this past weekend. By far our hottest set-up was the 600' copper.

I will tell you this - it is NOT a geographical thing right now - in the next few weeks the big boys will start showing up more and more, but I still think Rochester has been consistent.

Good luck,

- Chris

There is good kings out there, got a nice king in 20lb class in 220' of water,temp was real deep 54 at 130'down large dipseys on wire spinneys with hammer flys out 300'took 1 salmon and 4 lake trout,riggers down 150 took 3 small kings on spoons also dropped a few fish on free sliders on the rigger rods.My 10yo sons largest open water salmon yet! Straight north out of the river to 200' tried 100 no temp 64 right to the bottom.Go deep and get those dipsey rods out farther,hope this helps....

100_0873.jpg

We've fished out of I-bay for the past three weekends, and had about the same success every time (we've had as few as 6 and as many as 11 in a day). I'm not complaining about having 8 releases....I know we could get skunked very easily. I'd rather jump for a shaker than just sit there all day and not have anything happen. I guess I'm just expecting to pick up a decent fish every once in a while, something that actually puts up a fight. It seems like everyone else is catching steelies, decent kings, and nice lakers. Our biggest fish has been a 7-8# (being kinda generous) laker. 3 cohos boated were in the 22" range, and all the kings have been skippers. We don't have any copper or leadcore setups, all we have is mono, riggers and dipsies. We got brave on Saturday and put the two riggers at a 45 degree angle off the back with 2 rods on each and ran two dipsies off either side in the rod holders with FF combos. That's a lot of line in one place, but we didn't have any tangles all day, so I guess it worked. We're fishing off of a 20' boston whaler with a 7' beam, so things can get pretty tight.

I would love to run flasher/fly combo's on the riggers, but we only have two riggers and I've been nervous to stack lines with something that spins so much. We have been running two rods on each rigger, since we only have the two riggers and don't have copper or leadcore to use planer boards. I guess I might just be getting a little jealous reading about all the big kings and screaming drags.

Nice work! Where you marking fish and bait when you were catching those? We don't have a probe, so it's tough to tell where the temps are. Last weekend all the bait we marked was between 30-50 feet down, it was a straight line across the screen at 50', so it was obvious then. When I fished out of the oak growing up guys would share that kind of info over the radio, but now I'm just adjusting to where I'm marking bait.

Will I be able to get dipsies down far enough with the mono?

Camoman,try running your spinnies and fly off the ball and stack a dipsie about 20ft above the ball and out 30-40ft, that way you can go as deep as you want with the dipsies and run what you want.If you haven't done it before it may take a few tries. good luck. :)

If youre using mono on your dipseys switch it out for wire! They will get much deeper. Also instead.of stacking use a fixed or free slider (take a 6' piece of line and tie a swivel on each end.. spoon goes on one end other end goes to your downrigger line... For free slider... Set your rigger rod like normal pit it down to wherever you want, them hook your free slider to the rigger line and throw the other end with the spoon in the water, it will slide ~40% of the way down... Fixed slider, set your rigger line to your release, then drop rigger ball down 10 or 20 ft. Half hitch a rubber band to your downrigger line put your cheater swivel through the band.and.around your line. Throw the cheater lure in the water and set your rigger to the desired depth.

If you want I can take a video for you this afternoon...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Fished yesterday and today out of the bay. Did pretty well yesterday in the 150-200ft range more towards Hedges. 14fish sunday 7 fish Monday. All mag spoons. Gators took most of the hits today. Running wires out 350 with riggers from 120-150 down. Temp is way down. Not marking anything and most of the fish are small nothing over 10#. If your trailering I would try Braddocks or Sandy. Bill

Thanks guys!

Bobs boy....I am familiar with setting up cheaters, but thanks for the offer. I haven't considered running wire because I thought that it would ruin the eyes on my rods, they are older rods and I thought that in order to run wire, leadcore, and copper you needed a special rod so it wouldn't break them. Is that not the case?

Bill, thanks for the report. Sounds like your finding the same stuff we are. I would love to fish out of Sandy or the Oak, or even Braddocks...but it's my friends boat and he thinks that running out of the bay is fine. I think I've built up enough ammo to convince him to trailer to Sandy or the Oak. I grew up fishing out of the Oak and I just miss that place. I met a ton of great people up there when I was an observer in the pro-am.

Thanks guys!

Bobs boy....I am familiar with setting up cheaters, but thanks for the offer. I haven't considered running wire because I thought that it would ruin the eyes on my rods, they are older rods and I thought that in order to run wire, leadcore, and copper you needed a special rod so it wouldn't break them. Is that not the case?

Bill, thanks for the report. Sounds like your finding the same stuff we are. I would love to fish out of Sandy or the Oak, or even Braddocks...but it's my friends boat and he thinks that running out of the bay is fine. I think I've built up enough ammo to convince him to trailer to Sandy or the Oak. I grew up fishing out of the Oak and I just miss that place. I met a ton of great people up there when I was an observer in the pro-am.

I bay fishing has been awesome. Fished the last three days there, and had plenty of 2 and 3 year old class salmon. There is a abundance of 3-4 year old lake trout as well. The steelhead are hiding in the warmer water, with the salmon in the deep ice water, 120 to 140 down. Not really seeing as many as we are catching down in those depths. They were chewing flys for me.

In addition to Bob's helpful tip, you want to use twilitip for your wire rod set up. I use 8.5 and 9' Daiwa heartland rod and I took out the eye on the top and replaced it with a twilltip. Bob is correct about not using mono for the dispey.

You may want to order 19 strands wire through this site: http://www.torpedodivers.com/index.asp

There are other vendors on LOU that will help you out as well.

Best of luck.