More Oneida Walleyes 7/4

Fish Hunter

Heard info that fish were congregated near the orange wall.

Nope. Looked like a desert.

Went to where I had left off on 7/2.

Had a few marks, but no walleyes, only white bass.

Next drift I moved out, south, to 38-39 fow, and game on.

Limited out in no time, with a stiff west wind, and 2-2 1/2 ftrs, the drift was right at .09-1.2 mph, kept making approx 5/8 mile drifts, moving slightly south each pass.

One was 21", 6 jack perch, huge white bass.

Lost count on the total # of walleyes. Maybe 12.

ALL the wallayes came on a Michigan Stinger harnesses, with a pink blade/black dots.

Pulled it at 11:00 am, and they were still going, as that lake has a thick "pea soup" algae bloom now, and can only think that the light is not penetrating as much, down into the near 40 fow.

Went to Oneida Saturday 7/2 On the water at the crack of dawn. Fished between 121 & 123

Started in 20ft and picked up 2 4lb smallies and 3 sheephead. So moved deeper to 30ft was only able to manage 1 19" eye on a bottom bouncer and dixie spinner. Was also jigging with black,purple,white,red, with no luck. Was marking fish but nothing spectular. Heard guys on the radio doing them trolling with stick baits around 113-115 Even though there was enough breeze for a great drift it was that dam east wind which for some reason never produces well for me on that lake. Oh well maybe next time.

Funny thing, I've had my best days with a east wind,and poor days and some days nothing worked. :lol::@

Try trolling north and south with the east wind, use elect, motor if you have one and keep it slow,that works for me, some times. :)

Went to Oneida Saturday 7/2 On the water at the crack of dawn. Fished between 121 & 123

Started in 20ft and picked up 2 4lb smallies and 3 sheephead. So moved deeper to 30ft was only able to manage 1 19" eye on a bottom bouncer and dixie spinner. Was also jigging with black,purple,white,red, with no luck. Was marking fish but nothing spectular. Heard guys on the radio doing them trolling with stick baits around 113-115 Even though there was enough breeze for a great drift it was that dam east wind which for some reason never produces well for me on that lake. Oh well maybe next time.[/quote

Get into the deeper water in the shipping channel, or even more north.

They seem to be in that water more, this time of year.

And those finicky buggers do favor blade colors, and scent.

Another thing I've found to be helpful for me, is the proper rod, when drifting, or trolling.

I use Shimano medium light rods/8 lbs florocarbon/Phlueger 40 class reels(same ones I use for browns), with only 1 oz. bouncers, and if your paying close attention, you can see the slightest variations occur in the rod tip, as I believe they flare their gills, creating suction to pull the bait in, and they swim with it in their mouth, and the rod tip will have a slight vibration, or move in an irregular manner.

Once that happens, I still do not pull the rod from the holder, but wait, and once it starts to load,(I believe they start to swim away with it at that point) then lift straight up, and there they are.

99% of the time I boat them using that method.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

Most of the weekend we stayed West of Frenchman's Is - couple nice smallies and some monster-mutant pumpkinseeds and a half dozen pickerel off weed edges. Not a walleye to be had.

On Sunday, we did a mid-day outing farther East.. Trolled shadraps from Dunham Is to Hitchcock point, nothing, so then we moved to set up a drift starting at 130 to 127. Worked bottom bouncers and black jigs. One nice smallie and more monster-mutant pumpkinseeds. No walleye again.

They call it fishing, not catching, and at least I got out a couple times over the holiday weekend, so I'm not complaining.

I will be camping at oneida shores this weekend and will be back at it for more punishment :lol: Guess I'll have to fill the boat up :@ and make the trek farther east.

My wife tells me that instead of trying to catch fresh fish for Friday dinners that if I sold my boat and all the equipment & stuff that we could have steak & lobster every Friday for the rest of our life. Sad part is she is right, but what fun would that be :rofl::rofl:

Launch at Godfrey Pt, on the North Shore, or put in at Marion Manor Marina, and blast out past Lewis Pt, cut over between, 113-115, get in 38 fow, and set down and take a look.

You should see 'em laying in/around that area, with their bellys in the dirt, ready to come home with you, to swim in hot peanut oil. :)