How do you guys release kings? When we've tried to release in the past they always end up belly-up and we swing back and scoop them up if we can find them. Seems they're always spent and I can't see wastin' a good smoker. We've tried tail holding them over the side to resessistate but with very little luck. Advice?

I got a way of doing it that seems to work for me. I have a boga grip that I use for double checking weight as well as releasing the fish. Once the pictures have been taken hook up the boga in the top of the bottem lip and hold the fish head forward on the side of the boat making sure it isnt flopping around but with water flowing through his gills.

Recently I have been tying the boga to a rope set so the fish lays horizontal against the side of the boat and just tie the other end to a cleat or rod holder. This way you can reset rods or clean up the boat while the fish is reviving. If you have enough people on board just have one person hold the boga and fish with both arms so it doesnt flop around.

After 3-5 minutes check the gills to see if they have regained bright Red color and see if they are responsive, usually you can hear them kickin the side of the boat. Then I pull the fish in and spike him head first into the bubbles of the prop wash of my kicker. I have definatly had better luck this way and only taken home the fish that really took a treble deep- :? Sometimes there is no saving them.....

In my old tracker I had a large livewell and would just keep that running with the aerator dump the fish in there when your are resettin rods or cleaning up and the fish will revive in there. By far the boga technique works better and has vastly improved my CPRed fish.

Windburn, I fill the baitwell(large) on the back of my boat with fresh water for every king that comes into the boat. I place the fish in net and all and just remove the hook and net as I go while the fish is breathing in water the whole time Get a quick pic and gently nose dive the fish back into the lake. If you don't have a livewell or one big enough for kings a big cooler can work also. (original idea from Capt. Jason Franz-Troutnabout, a good friend) Tank

The best way I found is to bring them close to the boat and I use a fish holder (the S shaped holder you use to hold up a fish)and try to take the hook out with out taking them out of the water.That's works for me.I find that the more there out of the water they don't make it if you try to put them back in.It's tricky but it's fun trying to get them on the side of the boat with out losing gear :) In less it's a really big fish I try to let them go with out taking pictures.But that's just me.But if it looks like it won't make it,in the live well it goes and then some of my family get to enjoy fresh salmon.I love catching them but hate eating them ;) I just love the sound of a screaming reel :lol::lol::lol:

The King is one of the few only fish you can tail. i.e you can grab him at the base of the tail and pick him up as his tail won't collapse. With the boat in forward, I tail him with one hand and the place second hand under his belly, pointed towards bow. After a couple minutes, he may swim off by himself. If not, he may get a strong push headfirst downward. (Never hold the fish so the water comes in his gills & out his mouth.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

On our boat, I jump out on the swim platform and hold them by the tail and make sure they have water flowing through their gills. When I feel the fish start to kick, I shove him as deep as I can. Usually the little help I give him is enough to jump start his engine. Doing this in 3 fters is kinda interesting....LOL

The best results I've had is torpedoing the fish right back in. This has been more successful for me that trying to resuscitate them. Unless I have what might be a derby fish, I don't weigh or take pictures. Hooks out and right back in. Haven't lost one this year. I did have two that swam back up to the surface, but when I turned to get them they swam away when the net got close.

Loki nets with their coated mesh bags are popular up here,minimal scale removal.

A trick I learned from off a guy up here is after the fish is lying on the floor,take your wash down pump and spray water down the Kings mouth,after a minute,the fish starts kicking,time to put him back.

I mist them with the washdown pump until the king is breathing fast and flipping all over. Make sure the water is cool (my engine warms up the water in the line and make kings go in the cooler). Dump them in head first and they will go.