Beautiful St Lawrence walleyes with photo

Kevin J Legg

I got up very early this morning and hit the St Lawrence River by myself. Ended up catching seven walleyes. three around 17" and one 19" were released. The photo shows me with two 28" and on 20" and a 18" and 16" smallmouth. I was back at the launch by 8:00

w_002.jpg

Nice! We were fishing the wrecks near Singer Castle last weekend and couldn't catch em. I used the Aqua Vu to find them near the wreck. Tried jigging and worm harnesses but didnt catch any. I lost 5 or 6 Gulp leeches while jigging. Felt like they pulled em off.

I worded the last statement wrong .I am new to the st lawrance river , never had a boat big enough for it i thought. i am just trying to learn it . Know some guys that do real well on the eyes up by the Berg. I would like to get into them like they do up there i just like catching them for fun i would much rather eat pan fish .

Lisbon is good in May but I catch plenty near Alex Bay this time of the year but there is quite a learning curve involved. Lots of techniques will work some of the time but consistency is a tougher thing. We ate some of those eyes this week and they were delicious but I like pan fish too.

are mornings better than before dark i ran into a old fellow and he said pm fishing was good during week from 7pm til dark i was just wondering about am we fised lisbon thurs and cought 8 keep 6 we were fishing by 5 am long drive 1hour and fourty five min. Trolled worm harness , jigged with 5" grubs and tried sonars just wondered how early to try it down that way in am Like to try around light house and read about couple spot down by the bay thanks

new to it myself, trying to learn the river on this end so the drive will be shorter. i would look for shoals and fish just on edge. most say you should start early and if there biting be done before boat traffic starts. i know it used to be good on the end of carlton toward the lake had some friends that did well there not sure what time of year though. good luck, hard to pry info out of some of the people that knows whats going on do to it probably took them awile to figure it out also, and some people will point you in the right direction good luck

They definitely like it where deep water moves up over and around shoals and the head and side of islands where the current is running. It makes for an interesting troll into the current and often you are barely making headway but current keeps cranks working. Almost like hotshotting for steelhead.They move up into shallower water at night (8-20 fow) and may drop deep (30 to over 80) which makes trolling very difficult so jigs and jigging spoons work better or you can try downriggers or very heavy weights. The tough part is you generally have small target areas and need to know the river to fish at night.