Beautiful St Lawrence walleyes with photo

Kevin J Legg

what would a person use for weight in ounces for trolling in some of the heavier current on river. its obvious if going against current you need some weight i just wondered what would be a starting point. i see on catch of the day a gal caught a nice 12lbs down around the bay somewhere thanks.

I make my own bottom bouncing weights and believe they are around 12 ounces or more. I use heavy gear and heavy braid and a wire leader above the weight to avoid zebra mussel cut off. Still get hung up and cut off and it's not the most enjoyable fishing method but it can be effective. Last two morning were tough but did manage one eye yesterday. I believe its somewhat similar to how they fish the Detroit river.

• 2 weeks later...

On the lake this morning fishing by 5:45.Rollers average 3ft. get the occasional 4to5 ft. tough to fish inline planner boards when like that fished to 11 am no eyes one small mouth. I think its still a little early at least where we went but it should get better in a week or so. Didnt mark many fish either lake never really setteled down much either, at least they were rollers not a nasty chop

i would stay with the river for another week or so . I have only fished out thier twice today was the second time. I would much rather fish river but i have seen pictures of the hogs my buddies get out there and would like to get into them just once for fun not to keep. Also like to try Bay of Quintie this fall. My buddy was gonna try it out on the lake tonight if it calmed down he backed out this morning. I will keep ya posted . I wish i would of fished the river this morning . buddy told me he seen them catchen a few by the cape somewhere by mouth river and lake .

October is a little early. I'd definitely wait till Nov. I hunt a lot also but late Nov. and Dec. are the time for big eyes in Quinte so I forgo some hunting for those giant fish. Fortunately I'm retired so tend to hunt or fish daily. We go until ice prevents launching Then I turn to late season diver duck hunting.

I used to go up their years ago with a friend and his father in winter jigging i can remember about 2 inches ice and huge walleyes.If i remember it was somewhere near belleville. Maybe i will try to talk them into going later thanks for the info on that. they were just up there a week or two ago they caught lots but nothing huge.

fished down around cape and clayton thursday night before dark, first spot didnt pan out second spot caught 3 within a hour smallest was 19.5 other 2 were 4 to 5 lbs. cant believe for the size how they fight, the 2 bigger short and very stocky solid fish like the northerns on millsite. caught them on rapalas. quite windy at first

fished last night some boat traffic not to bad for a sat. night fished from 6:30 till about 10:00 didnt make a lot of fish like normall caught several smallies and gobies never caught a walleye first time we have been skunked on the eyes usually can find at least one. Fished several spots , maybe had something to do with storm irene everyone is talking about. Hopefully try to go couple times this week. Was wondering how late you can count on getting the walleyes like into Oct. , Nov or till freeze up. Thanks

I really can't tell you how long the bite continues on the river as once early goose season begins I switch modes to hunting and salmon until I head up to Quinte in Nov. for trophy eyes. I'm headed to Alaska on Thursday for 20 days and hopefully some great fishing.