Dipsey ?

Hi all,

Wondering about the diffrent sizes of dipseys out there, and there function.

I see most people use the size 1 dipsey, and that is what I have used so far, but I am wondering if the larger size 2 might get me extra wide or deep so I can run 2 wire/dipsey rigs on the same side. I have a 17 footer with a smaller beam width, so I am looking to spread things out. Will the size 2 dipsey help?

I would also assume that a heavier action rod would be necessary when running the larger dipsey, true or not?

Any help greatly appreciated. THANKS! :D:D:D

GOOD FISHING ALL!

LTtroller

(Bob)

I run the standard size 1 dipsys with the standard size rings and run two per side without problems. I know Yankee Troller runs the oversize rings on his deep divers to help him achieve deeper depths with less line out. I've ordered some and will be giving them a try here as soon as they arrive from Dreamweaver. You'll definitely want to run a heavier rod for dipsy applications than you'd need to on a rigger, and the bigger the dipsy you run, the more pull it will exert.

To keep the dipsys from getting in each other's way, I set my deep diver on a .5, and my high diver on a 2.5. We've had a lot of luck with that set-up this year. Just be sure to pay attention to how much line you have out and watch your turns. You don't want them both to have the same amount of line out or you'll be untangling a mess of wire.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

So, if I'm reading this right, the dipsey size is still the #1 - but you just put a larger ring on it to achieve greater depths and spread, instead of going to the larger #2 dipsey.

Are the #2's just to large & gaudy, or put to much strain on the gear that most people don't use that size?

Wouldn't you gain more depth with the larger #2, than just with an oversized ring on a #1?

Just trying to learn!

LTtroller

(Bob)

I honestly don't know what a #2 Dipsy Diver looks like (all I've ever seen is the Magnum). If it's bigger than the standard one, then yes, it will dive deeper. We're able to achieve the depths we need with the standard dipsy and ring, so we haven't really found a need to go with the Magnum dipsy. And since I own a dozen standard dipsys and it's cheaper to buy oversized rings than to buy a new Magnum diver, we've bought the rings to help achieve more depth. I think that you'll achieve similar dive curves with a #1 and an oversize ring as you will with a magnum diver.

I think the magnums are what I am calling #2's. I just didn't realize it. :$ Thanks for clearing that up.

I imagine the oversized rings are much cheaper than a mag dipsey, and since I have the #1 dipseys now, that would be the cheaper way to gofor me as well.

Thanks again guys, and as always - GOOD FISHING to ALL! :D:D:D

LTtroller

(Bob)