Wire snapped - lost my tackle

Was reeling in my line last night to put the rods away. Pulled to pop the dipsey and then everything went lose. The wire snapped and I lost a mag dispey, snubber, 50lb wire braid connecting line, flasher, lead and fly. Nice!!! :@

Anyhow, I figure the line was stressed where I joined it to the quick connect swivel. I haven't really checked them in 3 or 4 fishing trips.

So the question is, should I just be remaking new ends on the wire (re-tie to the swivel) everytime I go out, or just check them?

Thanks,

Mark

Use this knot. http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/videos/video3F.html Then be sure to either reel the dipsy swivel into the twili tip when you are done w/ the rod or secure the entire diver to the reel handle w/ a velcro strap (4 years of never removing the diver or the leader to the flasher- just secure the diver to the rod handle by wrapping a velcro strap around the diver arm & the rod handle and then wrap the flasher leader around and around the reel & secure the flasher snap swivel to the reel w/ a hair zingie). Whatever you do, don't allow slack line to accumulate on a diver rod at any time especially if it is cork screwing, you will get kinks and then you will lose tackle. This happened to all of us as we were learning too! Good luck, -Andy

Wire is tricky i have lost several dipsey setups all to find out that there was a little inperfection so to speak in one of my guides that was nicking the wire. make sure to check your guides as well. Hope this tip saves you the trouble i whish it would have saved me. :rofl:

You don't need to retie unless there is some noticeable reason to do so.

Kink!

Never allow slack in your wire dipsy. If you get slack, carefully tighten it up ahile making sure you don't tighen up on a pigtale. IT WILL turn into a kink. Kinks often fail when you pop the dipsy.

Wire dispsies are expensive to learn about without some hands-on instruction. I always recommend beginners start with braid dispies untill they master the technique.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

What I think went wrong yesterday is I did something s2pid.

Snapped the flasher on the wrong way around and fished for 1 hour. When I retrieved

the tackle, my connecting line (between dipsey and flasher) was all twisted on my wire line.

I think this caused a kink. I thought about re-tying the line, but left it (too many fish on the \

chart!) About 30 mins later I pulled in the wire dipsey and pop, everything came off.

What I normally do with my rods is take all the tackle off up to the wire snap swivel. Then I take

my 2 piece rod apart and carefully put them together trying not to kink the line. I then put the rod

in a sleeve and it goes in a compartment. I need to do this as I have a bow rider and need to get

the rods off otherwise I can't put my cabin tarps on.

Unfortunately there is a risk for the line to coile out some and also get some kinks through the guides

where the wire turns as I put the 2 pieces together. I will just have to keep monitoring.

I have even though maybe to just cut the tie everytime and tie the wire end to one of the guides. It

takes a few seconds to tie another loop and it will avoid a lot of kinks and wire un-coils.

Mark

If you have to take them apart another option is to slip the heaviest rubber band you can find over the first eye of the tip section of the rod and then attach the snap to this and tighten the slack. This will allow you to keep tension on the wire during storage and prevent kinks.

Thanks Chowder for that knot tip - i did it today, it worked like a dream.

I am just going to cut 4" off each time and tie around one of the wire guides.

It is easy enough to tie the line next time around and I know I'm starting with a clean

slate.

Thanks Chowder for that knot tip - i did it today, it worked like a dream.

I am just going to cut 4" off each time and tie around one of the wire guides.

It is easy enough to tie the line next time around and I know I'm starting with a clean

slate.

Mark, you will enjoy fishing more if you can deploy your diver rods in 60 sec apiece. If you you use the wire knot and secure the diver & leader as I described you will have both diver rods out in a couple minutes -no need to keep cutting & retying and no need to remove the diver & leader either. Good luck! -Andy

Chowder I know, but the problem is I have to seperate the two pieces of my rods to store them. This means if I keep the tackle on I bend the wire around two guides, and it causes kinks. I have a bow rider and I have no where to keep the rods if they are fully assembled. What I do is break them down and then lock them away in a compartment on my boat.

So problem is because of this, I run the risk of kinking wire after each fishing trip after I put the rods away. It is better for me to just cut the wire and tie it around the first guide closest to the reel. It keeps the wire tight and I don't need to worry about kinks.

What I do is keep my dipsey set up all ready - so everything except the fly or lure is all hooked up. All I do is pull the wire through the guides, tie the snap on and attached the dipsey set up. It takes me 5 mins max.

Mark

DO NOT tie your mono directly to your wire.....it will cut right thru it. You either need to use a small spro swivel or a 4 inch piece of leadcore sheath and then simply Willis knot the wire and the mono to the leadcore piece.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

I found some small swivels that go thru the eyes then tie on 50lb braid to another coast lock swivel for the diver.Make sure that whatever line you use is a little shorter than your poll.Try it you will like it

OK guys, here's the scoop for those of you that either fish out of a boat w/ limited room to cope w/ a long dipsy leader or for those of you that want to reel the wire into the the reel and have a long leader from the diver to run a spoon diver rig:

Step 1,) Take the top of a mag slide diver & mate it to the bottom of a regular mag dipsy by drilling out the bottom so it fits the top.

Step 2.) Using a HD spro micro swivel to fasten a 25' 30lb FC leader to the wire

Step 3.) Slide on the Hybrid Mag Slide Diver + bead and fasten another another spro & short 2' 30lb FC leader behind the hybrid diver.

Step 4.) Finally, tie on a Dream Weaver HD snap swivel ( you can go from this to a flasher type swivel or directly to a spoon).

I love this setup on my 19' Islander which does not have a big rear fishing deck which can make it tough to net a nasty king on a long dipsy leader that's trying to tangle lines. After the diver trips I only have the 2' leader to deal with for netting & I can reel all the wire onto my reel & break it down too! It takes a little tinkering to set it up but I would never go back!!

Nail knot???? How the heck do they get that to work. I just check the knot animations and I don't understand

how the steel line won't slip out of the knot, unless they are doing something different.

Anyhow, I'm just going to use a micro-swivel that will go through the wire guides. I'll only pull it through when I'm putting the rod away and taking it back out, so extra care needed then to ensure the mono/floro lead does not get cut through the wire guides.

I'm going to put on about 10 feet of 40lb floro as a lead tonight on the wire rods. Will use a uni knot for the floro to swivel and a wire knot posted previously to the swivel. If you want me to repost the wire knot, let me know, it is a great knot.

I am also putting some 10 to 15 foot 40# floro leads on my braid line rods - will join either using a double uni knot or an albright not, will see which holds up better.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
put a rods length of heavy mono on if your taking apart the rod. That way you can wind the wire all the way down and safely on the spoon and just have the mono out when detaching your rod and storing... This is what I do.

Okay - I have been doing the above now for about 3 weeks and yes it is great for storage - it really has simplified things.

BUT!!!! - the fleas are holding up a the micro-swivel joining the wire to the mono and I can't reel past this, so now I have 10 feet of mono followed by 10 feet of dipsey, snub, lead, flasher, lead, fly. We need to walk to the very front of the boat to get the fish even close to the back of the boat - and it is becoming a pain in the arse.

I have moved over from single strand wire to 7 strand and this seems to do the trick. It is flexible enough that it doesn't kink as easily when I store my rod. This means I don't need a mono lead and I can attach my wire straight to the dipsey. This keeps the fish a lot closer to the boat when landing, which simplifies that final step in the process.

Mark