tackle shops west of the river?

Are there any tackle shops that have a decent assortment of trout /salmon spoons OTHER than Gander, Dicks or Narbys? There doesnt seem to be much selection out there (I havent been to Narbys yet). Is it mail order city? BP

B & E tackle on 104 just past Webster is pretty good and is close to Rochester. I was at Abes In Sodus during the Pro-am and they were loaded. That place is awesome!! I am heading out there next week to get my new probe and buy some other goodies :shock: :D:D You can also try S&R tackle in Sea Breeze they added alot of trout and salmon stuff Nk's and Yecks, of course this is after I lived 1 block from there for 20yrs and they had worms and minnows :x

JayVee's on Norton St in Roch, has a wall for Salmon stuff - NK's, stingers, SD's.

Don't know what Mitch's on Lake Ave has. Anyone know????? I pass it every time I launch but have never stopped - :$

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Mitchells has a pretty good selection, more than what I thought they would have. Narby's is pretty impressive - Sharon does a heck of a job out there. The store is for sale - wish I could afford to semi-retire... They have a huge selection of Yecks, as well as Stinger, NK, Spin Doc's (the new colors) etc. Pretty much everything. Captains Cove has a very impressive selection of NK's, but not a lot of much else.

I was at captains cove yesterday,and found a great selection of dodgers,squids,flies,all sorts of tapes and ladderback tapes. Many different makes of spoons, in all the popular colors. A great selection of NK spoons and even suttion spoons.There is a great selection of dipsys in all the colors and sizes plus accessories(rings and snumbers). There are all sorts of releases and acc. for downriggers, such as parts for crimping the cable,etc,weights and ball buddies. Spools of copper wire,rods, reels and bass fishing equiptment.This is a very well stocked store.They will even special order,if they dont have it in stock. The owners are new this year and very nice to work with. We need to support our local tackle shops,as much as possible, If they are gone, what is left, Dicks and gander mountain.

I was at both Narbys and Captains cove yesterday and I must admit I was impressed with both. They both had a very nice selection. My wallets a little lighter now though. BP

I stop at Captains Cove on most every trip out to Olcott.I think they have a very good selection of everything needed for L.O.

I stop at narbys,and they also have a decent selection but, and this is just my opinion,i seem to get more tips on whats currently working on the lake,and better tech info on equipment from Captains cove.They are extremely nice people to deal with.I also have dropped a few reels off to be repaired,and got great service.

Have to agree with Blue waters,on Capts Cove,and especially his remarks about Dicks.I would make all my own tackle by hand,before i'd shop at Dicks.

I live in Western Ma. which is a long way from any Muskie water,yet This Dicks store has an end cap display of 10" muskie lures.They also have a map of the hot spots for lake Erie.

Virtually no one from this area fishes lake Erie,and unfortunately only a few like myself are die hard L.O.guys.

Of course the Idiots at dicks, have all this stuff,but they don't have the common sense to stock the stuff that fishermen in the area actually need.

I conveyed all the above,and much more in an email to them.Of course i got the typical psyco babble bulls--t reply,saying that they were sorry i wasn't able to find what i needed,yada,yada,yada.

Dicks,give me a break these type of operations are all the same,they come into an area with all kinds of inventory,and give away prices,just long enough to put all the little guys out of business.

Then they don't refill the shelves,or have the right stuff,so we're left with no well stocked tackle stores in the area.

Well one thing is for sure,They sure named the place right.

so john how do you really feel about Dicks? as far as Capt. cove my van just sorta pulls over every trip by there also , it has new owners this year with a good supply(great) of tackle,i dont think there as on top of the fishing reports as the last owners ,give em a season or two and thell be pushing that old stock I mean hot lure with the best of them.(that was a joke) but the store next to narbys sells HMmmmmmm BEER.

Ray,Yeah your right about them not being quite as knowledgeable about the lake,but it takes a while to get up to speed.

Funny,i hear the same thing from my buddies," "tell us how you really feel"

Maybe it's time for me to sign up for anger management classes.You should see the times on the water when i get pissed off, one of two things happen,the crew either starts laughing,or you can hear a pin drop.

Lets see,i smashed and threw an Okuma blue diamond rod overboard,threw a spinning rod in the river while shad fishing,almost threw an eagle gps overboard,buried a treble hook in my hand when i got a little angry with a flasher/cut bait rig,etc,etc.

Other than that,"I'M PERFECTLY NORMAL"

The problem with places like Dicks is that they figured out that it is much more profitable to sell 1000% marked up sneakers and sweatpants produced in some southeast asian sweatshop than it is to sell, well...... sporting goods.

Tim