Help! Downrigger dilema

So I started collecting gear to get me fishing out of Olcott, Wilson etc. I was out that way today and after looking at some boats and stopping at Slippery Sinker I am starting to think I made some mistakes. The biggest one is I purchased a Cannon Easi troll electric and manual. After looking at other boats I think I am undersized. The primary concern is the ball weight. I noticed 12- 14lb is what is used in the summer. The rigrers are rated to 8lb. I was planning on pushing that to 10lb. What will happen if I try to get deep with a 10lb weight? I also purchased a few Okuma Magda Pro 30 reels and I feel thay may be small as well. Some of the reels these boats had were huge. Do you think I will have issues with this gear?

Thanks

Cool thanks for the info, I agree I think a 14lb weight would be bad with the skinny boom and weak mounting plate. I am thinking I can push it to 10# or maybe even 12#. Thing is what do I lose? What negative effects happen If I drop a 10# to 80 or 90ft aside from blowback? Does this mean I am out for mid summer fishing but in for fall spring early summer?

Jeff,

One of my friends fishes with 10lb sharks on his Easi troll manuals he hasn't had any issues as far as the weight compared to the booms there is definiately more blow back that you have to contend with, compared to a heavier ball but I guess like what was said in the above post I would be a little leary about going above 10lbs.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was hoping to hear someone had some experience using 10# weight. I'm thinking of getting 10# Pancake weights in black.

I would vote for torpedos or sharks. there are some for sale in the add section. I use 10# sharks down to 100' ok and a 14# torpedo in summer on the probe rigger when going real deep. Pancakes tend to tangle in currents when you are real deep. Esp. off 9mile in the fall.