Oh Baby"s Oswego Pro Am....East end fishing is HOT !

Had a great time again fishing the Oswego Pro Am with my buddies on Team Oh Baby. What a fun year it has been fishing with you guys! Thank you for tolerating me for the entire season. Great job by the Sponsors and committee for putting together another great event. Participation was down, as I think we all expected in the Oswego event. It was too bad for those of you who missed it, as a good time was had by all. Competition was top notch, and the fishing was everything you could hope for....and then some!

Friday: Fished from Fairhaven to the nuke plant trolling in 200-250 fow and just slammed the fish all day. I was going on no sleep and Matt was sick, so with Steve driving it was a busy day in the back of the boat for the two of us going at about 50%, but man was it a fun day! Steady action the entire troll, nothing fast and furious, but plenty of singles and doubles as you would hit many random pockets of fish. we lost track, but were at least 15+ for 25+ with quality fish. Out biggest was 21 and change, but couldn't put a second 20 in the boat to go with it so our 3 big fish for the Friday derby fell a little short at 52+ lbs. It took 54 lbs to get a check. I was blown away with the numbers of fish on the east end....this was gonna be a great tourney! It was an all flasher/ fly and meat rig bite. Our hot flys were the Big Weenie Spook, Oily Stool and Blue Weenie. Crazy Fish mag size MC Rocket got a good share of fish as well.

Saturday: Left the chute to be greated with a stiff NNE wind...often times a kiss of death to the fishing, so we were not sure what to expect. As expected with a NE wind, the fishing slowed down and our fish vaporized. It was a grind, but we found a very small pocket of fish out front of Oswego and just worked that tight pocket all day, picking up one each troll through our marks. It was a slow grind, but we finally got our 12th legal fish around 1pm and headed in with our full box. The size was down a lot from Friday, and the fish were getting smaller as the day dragged on. We were happy to find we were one of only 4 or so Pro teams with a 12 fish limit so we were sitting in 4th place 25 lbs out of 1st.

Sunday: Isn't tournament fishing awesome? We racked our brains Sat. evening trying to decide what to do Sunday. Even though we had a full box of fsh Saturday, we didn't know if our area would produce enough fish Sunday or not? We knew two friends killed the fish in Sodus on Saturday, and with a light S wind forecast we figured not much should change and we should get a good box pretty easily. Against the advice of a good friend who told us to stay put and work our Saturday marks, as the fish would return, we headed to Sodus based on some very good first hand reports with our no guts no glory attitude. The wind was much harder than forecasted, and it blew out of the S a good 15+ and screwed up the water in Sodus fast! We popped a few quick, and had 4 fish before 8am, but then the bite died as the water started changing and temp started coming up higher. With I think 6 in the box, we decided to go in BT fishing, knowing the bite was slow as the water was moving and we lost two hours of fishing time making the long run to Sodus. We ran to Afro point and set up in 75 fow and put a nice 9+ lb brown in the box real quick. Then an 11 lb brown comes aboard and we feel good, but don't have a lot of time. We dropped a couple and only boxed two more before the wind dies and the bite dies with it. As we head back to Oswego....our plan didn't work as we had hoped, but we had enough bites to box out and a few dropped fish came back to haunt us. We motor back with 9 fish, but with No Communication we had no idea what the others did ....Love the No Communication in tournaments !!!! I hate to sound like a broken record, and I am not trying to endorse any single fly....but once again The Big Weenie Spook fly was our top producer. This Fly just keeps catching our fish. It's as if the kings just pick it out of our spread. We also had some action on a Big Weenie Blue Weenie fly and the Crazy Fish MC Rocket got picked on. Other rigs took some fish, but those were our studs day in and day out.

Our lack of a full box hurt us on day two, and we ended up dropping to 9th place, but we were able to cash a check with another top ten finish and had a great time in the process!!

A special thanks has to go out to Jon at Jons Little Salmon Tackle in Mexico. We wanted a couple flashers we didn't have and called my buddy Jon, who was gracious enough to open up the shop after hours and meet us so that we could buy the stuff we needed. Jon is a first class guy and has a great assortment of anything you need. I would gladly make the drive from Oswego to Mexico to give him the business, and besides... he is the only shop on the east end of the lake who has Big Weenie products :yes:

Fish were mostly deep for us, and the best set up by far was our 550 copper. Riggers were best from 80 to 130, depending on the day.

The moral of the story...Get out and fish....the east end has not seen king action like this in years and who knows how long it will last? Don't wait, call in sick, hook up the boat and go fishing now :yes:

BW....it's gonna have to wait bud, as Matt and I were so focused on what to do fishing wise, we forgot :( I know I am gonna get a bunch of crap about that, but it just slipped my mind....sorry ...lol I will be back up in a week, so Shhhhh :lol:

Nice job Rod. The fishing in Sodus yesterday was hot until about 7am and then died.

Thanks Nick. Yeah, it stank cause we didn't get there to set up till about 6:30 with our long run. Oh Well...that's how it rolls some days. We ground out enough bites, but a couple just didn't want to die so they are still swimming around the lake with sore lips. Good luck in the Sodus pro am bud :yes:

Hey Chris, I wish I could be there for the festivities. Hope you guys have a killer tourney!!

Rod glad u guys had a good Tourny out of Oswego... We seen you guys friday humping the cooler back to the truck and you guys looked half dead :( ... we ended Friday with 60lbs and change......When u coming up to Sodus this week....... Woody

Hey Woody, nice job & congrats with the nice finish on Friday. I didn't realize that was you guys till Matt told me back at the truck....I could hardly see through my sleep deprived red eyes :D we were both absolutely beat! I am not fishing Sodus, but I think Matt is getting there sometime Tuesday. Good luck in Sodus :yes:

Hey...if anybody wants to squeeze me on their team, I maybe could be talked into coming up...lol

I had made plans this week, so Matt got a replacement for me, but those plans have changed.

Guess you just need to invite me up to fish with you nick. You doing the lsrc?

Woody.....that is at least a two beer story :D

lol....I hear ya, not for everyone but soooo much fun! In fact, the little ones are just for fun. There ain't nothin serious about the Challenges.

Hey...good luck this weekend Nick :yes: