Hot Lure: flasher/flys

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 150-220 fow

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Fished solo today for a few hours after re-installing my raw water wash pump after a burn-out. I wanted to try just east of I-Bay for something a little different and it was a great day. Ran only two rods - first it was rigger/ wire combo than I switched to 600' copper and one rigger with a flasher.

The day started immediately with a hit on my wire 275', #2, white/green dot spinny with a green hammer fly, and it took a nice 10-12# king. Back he went and shortly thereafter, I took two small skipper kings on the rigger, 85' over 180' fow, free slider purple glow frog (thanks to the charter captain on the radio who said he was catching some on this free slider presentation).

Then it slowed down for about an hour, of which I sweated my sack off washing the boat deck down. After an hour I hit another small king on the rigger - 42 sec. spoon 95' down.

I pulled the wire and spoon and hesitantly switched it up to a 42 sec. flasher/fly on my other rigger, only 55' down (after seeing quite few marks at 50-60 feet) and I put out the 600' copper (kelly green flasher/green hammer fly) and after that all "heck" broke loose. After ten minutes I had a rip on the copper which turned out to be a 17# 12 ounce lake trout and half way into the fight, the rigger hits and a steelhead rockets out of the air. I had to put the copper in my rod holder (still about 400' out) and fight the steely. After I landed it, I weighed it in a Wegmans bag and couldn't believe it was 12# 11 ounce. Back in the water it went, but it was floating so I threw out a planer board to mark it to swing back around and pick it up. In the meantime, I caught my personal "solo" best laker - 17#12 ounce.

During the laker fight, the steelhead started to thrash on the surface and it revived itself and back it went. After clearing the deck for an hour, I went back and picked up my board and I was thrilled to see the steelhead survided to fight another day.

What crazy fishing lately - it's been one heck of a summer. Both fish would have been on the LOC board, but I was fishing solo so that's how it goes.....

Good luck to all - here's one pic of the steelhead on my deck and one of the laker in my fish box.

- Chris

009.jpg

003.jpg

Chris.....good job out there.... i hate that loc solo rule. Maybe they'll reconsider and change it someday. There are day's that fishing solo , or not going out are our only options for many different reasons . It's also great therapy,fishing out on that big lake all alone sometimes...and a great time to hone your skills,, try new techniques and "crazy" presentations etc. . Just keep "fishing safe" in mind at all times....Again, good job....... choo-choo.

Safety is certainly paramount when running solo. :yes:

I am very conscious of that when alone.

One little thing, could turn into a big thing in no time at all.

Great report!!

Chris.....good job out there.... i hate that loc solo rule. Maybe they'll reconsider and change it someday. There are day's that fishing solo , or not going out are our only options for many different reasons . It's also great therapy,fishing out on that big lake all alone sometimes...and a great time to hone your skills,, try new techniques and "crazy" presentations etc. . Just keep "fishing safe" in mind at all times....Again, good job....... choo-choo.

I agree with all that u said! Chris ever need somebody give me a shout usually available most mornings

354-7700

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the great replies guys.....you are all welcome on my boat anytime. I just lost my phone landing a fish (200 fow) a few weeks back, and I'm updating all my contacts as we speak....lol

Tom - you still have the best steaks in town - hands down - it's making my mouth water just thinking of them.....

Good luck to all this weekend,

- Chris

Chris;

Do NOT take Tom up on his offer!! He will bring food and mess your boat up with dry aged rare steak!! :rofl:

This is very true! It's all part of Tom's plan to get to the rods before you. He breaks out the food and of course you can't resist and start munching away. Rods go off and there you are with a tasty sandwich in your hands watching Tom sprint to the rod :o:D

Shawn