Best time for big kings on the west side

Hey all, i've done a lot of salmon fishing on lake michigan in the past but since i have moved to central ohio, it looks like lake o is a shorter drive and i know it's better fishing. trying to plan a 3 day trip either out of olcott or wilson but not really sure what the best port and time would be for big kings. I would love to catch them right when they begin setting up to stage but before they turn into the moldy oldies. would that be the end of august? any insight would be awesome!

The best time is right now! Out of Oak Orchard though---26 miles to the east of Olcott. The kings are eating everything in site right now in preparation for spawning. They usually stop feeding around Labor Day and usually get very moody about two weeks before that. IMHO August can be very good but it can also be a crap shoot with unstable weather and finicky fish. A caveman could catch kings out of the Oak right now----in fact, I think he boxed out this morning by 10AM! :o

Right now is hot!! I fish mainley out of Sandy creek which is a little east of the Oak and i am averaging 20 fish an outing.When you come dont forget your Spin doctors becuase they are just tearing them up!!!Good Luck

Matt

Jakey Baby-

sure wish i didn't have a trip up to lake erie planned for this weekend! walleye fishing sucks and you guys are hammering the kings. so if you were to choose from the weekend of the 13th, 20th, or 27th in august, which would you choose? don't worry, i'll hold you 100% accountable if the fishing sucks! lol kidding....i know how salmon and weather work. just hoping for a good starting point

I agree I fished out of Wilson this weekend and had a 30 fish day with a mixed back of kings, steelies, coho's and of course one king for the board that got off with a bent hook at the net. ;( - I would come early that later but weather as they said is a big factor Saturday East winds only 2 kings and shakers and Sunday 30 fish with a southwest breeze.

Good Luck the fish are here..

Yeah the walleye fishing has been bad on Erie this year. Unless your running out to the border, or you get lucky and the sand bar fires up for a day or two, your in for a frustrating time. I'll be fishing the oak the last week if July, hopefully the fishing is still good then. It's been a long summer thus far.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Yeah the walleye fishing has been bad on Erie this year. Unless your running out to the border, or you get lucky and the sand bar fires up for a day or two, your in for a frustrating time. I'll be fishing the oak the last week if July, hopefully the fishing is still good then. It's been a long summer thus far.

yep! unless the seas are perfect i'm not running my 17' starcraft 18 miles out either. we found a decent bite on the east edge of the bar two weeks ago. ended up with 15 real nice eyes (three 28inches and above) and a 27 inch steelhead for the weekend. not a killer weekend but enough meat to make the trip worth it...especially after all the lightning we had. good news is the perch bite is on so we always have that as a backup. would rather be pounding silvers though!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

For what its worth the walleye fishing out of Erie, PA has been nothing short of phenominal this year. Here's a 33" 12.6 walleye I took two weeks ago and our limit catch from yesterday. 18 tasty eyes in the boat by 11 AM.

Fishing-Report_468_2445292969.jpg

18by11AM.jpg

Walleye fishing has not sucked just have to work for them a little harder the size of the fish has been crazy good, the bite is smoking hot off Geneva right now only 10-12 miles from shore, even shorter from Ash and Conny.

I'm going up July 23rd to Olcott if any of you Ohio boys want to work them over, probably go up twice in August as well. Hope the bite holds up for the south shore.