big jon downriggers

stoneyxc

i just picked up a set of big jon electric riggers for my boat and i am having a problem with them both tripping the resets on the untis. i am running 13 pound torpedos and these are captains pack riggers, i think the will handle the load. anyone have any ideas, can i put a heavier trip in them? the motor isnt getting hot or anything. I redid the wires on them hoping that would solve the problem but it didnt.

thanks in advance.

I purchased a set of Tournement Pro riggers last year and have had the same issue. I'm using 15 lb balls. When the riggers are down 120 to 130, they trip the breaker around 30-40 feet on occasion when retrieving. Last year they tripped every time and Big Jon said my power run needed to be heavier. My shop added heavier wire and it seemed to fix the problem but, one of them tripped today at 35 feet.

i cant remember the exact gauge of wire but i know it was heavier than what was originally on them. the breakers that are on them are 5 amp, i wonder if i can go with a heavier trip. they both trip out, the one with the longer wire trips more frequently. they run up for the first 30 to 40 feet with no problem then the one does 5 foot increments and the other will run about 10 foot increments. sounds like i might need to mess with my boat connections.

Yes, It also could be connections. I've had trouble before with bad connections (Corrosion). I'd look on the wire though and see what size it is. Especially, seeing as the further one is tripping more. My riggers are wired with #10 wire. Longer wire runs, too small wire and bad connections all cause voltage drop, so theres lower valtage at the rigger. This will cause the motors to work harder and they will trip quicker. What you are describing sounds like one or a combination of these things.