Bent Hook?

Sounds to me like either the drags on your reels are too tight or the release on the rigger or the dipsy is too tight. If they're too tight, and a King hits it hard, the hook will take the brunt of the hit and straighten out before the release or drag has a chance to do its job. That has happened to us in the past, and we've pretty much eliminated it by paying very close attention to the drag and release settings.

We had a hook straighten out on us in the Sodus Pro-Am on day 2 on a wire dipsy and we lost the fish due to it. That one fish would've moved us into a top-ten finish. ;(;(

When I checked the drag, I found that one of my newer crew members had tightened it down to keep it from creeping. It was pretty tight. We're lucky the fish didn't break the wire.

Try loosening the releases on your riggers & dipsys so that they just hold (without popping on every turn or on every wave), and keep those Dipsy drags loose enough so that they creep on the outside of a turn. You'll have to experiment with the release settings, but too loose is definitely better than too tight. That might help with keeping the fish from bending hooks.

Off Track,

What type of hooks are you using?

A couple years ago we went to some EWG (extra wide gap hooks) by Gamakatsu and they weren't heavy enough. No they weren't @X or 3X strong and we were experiencing the same thing. Some were straightening while others were crushed (2 of the 3 trebles were bent way in towards the shank). Since we went to @x and 3X strong hooks and haven't had another problem.

Our thinking that the finer wire hook would penetrate quicker and deeper....NOT!!! :$:$

I agree with checking tension on dipsey, releases and drags. I will also suggest giving tandem hooks a try. Check out the A-Tom-Mik site. I'm using tandem hooks on all the flys I tie. More hook ups less dropped fish. Something to consider

We run tandems on all of our flys nowadays. I never liked them in the past, but now I just add them to every fly harness over the winter. They definitely help with some of the dropped fish. I don't think they make as big a difference as some guys proclaim they do, but if it'll help put one more fish a week in the boat then I guess I'm all for it.

I used to use VMC conecut trebles on my flys. They are sticky sharp, but I would lose an occasional fish due to bent hook or the line getting wedged in the treble. I have since gone to tandem Gammi octupus hooks and am very pleased. They really stick them and stay. Also, on my divers I loosen the drag so it will just about creep and then attach an offshore release to the wire(thanks T. Brommund) which is hung from the rod holder. When a fish hits, the release will pop off and there is minimal drag. Here is a pic of the setup:

Rodholder.jpg

Only problem I have had is with the fancy exensive hooks, I used the round bend VMC nickle hooks and they have been good.

I am slowly switching to 3/0 double hooks for my flies, seems to work better than the tournament rig adn boy they are strong.

Jim, I run 2 off each side alot. The release is nothing more than an offshore medium tension downrigger release. I made an oval ring out of 1/8" stainless rod and tiewrapped it to the rodholder for an attatchment point for the release. Run your diver out, back off the drag, then clip the pinch pad on the wire right in front of the reel. When a fish hits the release will pop off and the fish can take drag. It allows me to have a little less drag without line constantly creeping out. Did you fish out of the Oak this weekend? Passed a Striper with 2 Cannons on it this weekend in the river and was wondering if it was you.