LSR Challenge question

im goona try to be nice 1frst ive been in several small bass drbys,did 8 lake trout derbys (8 years) on seneca ,loc derby 3 years and ,my first pro am this year outa sodus,then came the SRC ,friday show up at capt.meet 1/2 hr early 7pm for 7:30 meeting just in time for the 50/50 drawing and every one left by 7:15 ,going by the posted rules on the website,we too left with our goody bag which contained additional rules stating the 2;00PM DEADLINE ,...our day was not to sucessfull being new to the area ,no real prefishing time , and no one to leave a chumline,we landed 2 ,17lb avg. kings before stoping at 1pm for the dash to the dock to meet the 2:00 pm deadline ,we hit the dock after a long slow ride up the creek with 30sec to spare almost run to the scales to keep from getting points deduction or disqualified for missing the deadline ... ..........only to find we were the maybe 12th person outa 80 to weigh in by 2:00 SHARP..and the guy 2 people in front of us lays out his impressive basket of lakers (illeagle by the rules) only to be reminded no lakers so he takes most maybe all lakers out of the weigh basket and runs back to his truck and comes back with another leagle fish for his weigh in, then the person in front of us has 2 nice salmon the gills were whiter than a sheet of paper and ive seen fresher looking salmon laying on the shores of the salmon river in october ,maybe a little fresher but we keeped our lips zipped and left to trailer the boat and come back to the picnic.we ate and left at 3:15 for the drive home and people were still showing up with coolers to meet the 2:00 deadline . Im shure there was a communication problem with us for missing the early meeting also i left the goodie bag in my truck with the ch78 instructions and we monintered 68/09/16. all day again my fault im shure we missed some info to extending the weigh in time not that another hour or two could ever make a difference to our catch .. :? and to the capt who drove up from behind us overtaking us at .5 mph diff pulled along side and started turning into us and at 20 ydswith our wheel almost hard port he had the gizingos to crawell outa the cabin to hollar DO WE NEED THE WHOLE LAKE!! any newbe who fished this derby please dont use it as how to compare it to others on the lake , Im not bashing only telling the facts as we saw them and I accept full responsibilty for not finding out any last minute changes I must of missed ...it was a beautiful day to fish..my first and last SRC.

WOW :shock: Looks like I made the right decision to stay home.

I think this thing was doomed from the beginning because it sounded like a last minute thrown together derby to begin with.

Ray what about the Olcott Derby :?: Turn your phone on :x and give me a call.

sorry tom me had cell phone issues ...to the owners of CANNONS PLACE i tried to call you right back like 20 min after i called to cancel but no phone connections.. hmm another derby let me do some homework (begging) but i think my schedual is pretty full ill check the dates........

To Ray K...Sorry for the miscomunication..would have liked to have met you and have you stay with us...please consider us again... I attended the capt's meeting on Friday evening..there was some changes to the posted rules that were addressed at the meeting.. channel 78 was the tourniment base for any questions. For the most part , I felt the event went fine..I'm sure there is a lot that goes into this that most people are not aware of. Still a great day on the water!!!! Sorry again for your trouble....captd

Jim, it's actually the Orleans County Derby and it runs Aug. 4th-19th. The last 3 days actually run into the LOC derby too. That's all I know about it. Maybe the people @ the ATTHEOAK.com site have more info.

It was ok. But we weighed in and ran back to camp to clean fish and drop off the boat.As far as we knew the BBQ was at 6 sharp. We were back at Mikes at 5:45 and everything was broken down. Kinda a kick in the a** when ya plan on something and it doesnt happen. It would be nice if the people in charge would make it known when plans change.

Hi Ray.........this is Crystal from CANNON'S....I have to agree 100% with you on the shotty way this tournament was ran. If it wasn't for Dave calling them at 6pm he would have missed the meeting too. Did you get your cell phone checked out? When you called , I kept saying hello ...hello....then your phone went dead. I called you back 3x, you answered then it would go dead again!!!! It was a pleasure talking to you the first time round. Hope we get the pleasure of meeting you in the future on other occasions...........Best wishes and Happy fishing!!!

Crystal :D

well i wasnt using the shotty word but it could of been better i signed up friday at 1:00 pm with Beth and confirmed the 7:30 Capt meeting i did stop in during lunch and they were a little hetcic but no mention of changes, as past president of The Natoinal Cinderella Softball League i was involved in the process of organizing the world series tournements involving over 2000 kids over a 6 week perioud a year and we started our planning for the next year events the final day of the current year to improve what we could to make it better for the kids. so for Mikes Crew to throw this event togeather in a short time i can feel your pain.90 boats is huge with the possiablty of 4 people per boat for a one day event appeared to be a little overwelming for the helpers , parking,and boat traffic,for the location.. to make a last minute change in the rules and meeting time was the biggest problem i had , Ive got a big enuf mental handicap throw in a couple changes and im confused ,not to mention my crew sneaking bananna loation on board...... at least it was a great day to fish maybe i threw out first and last time a little fast as i thought this was a ongoing derby not a newley established event,if Mikes dont get a spanking from the town for blocking the road im shure they learned enuf from the event to have a better process next year it appears the people on the east end of the lake are willing to support and by the number of boats that turned out they are hungry for a derby in there hometown.. Do I win anything for being the biggest whiner ??????????? Thanks Ray K.

I'm not sure who ran the event but I'm quite sure it must have been quite a feat to pull off and probably an unexpected turn out to boot!! If I would have known about it sooner I would have liked to volunteer to help out. The first year is always a learning curve. Kudosss to all those that were involved in running the event. We had a great time and will no doubt participate again. ;)

I am one of the organizers of the derby. My name is Ron Jacoby and I operate Beginner's luck sport fishing. Let me give you a little idea of just how hard this was to get together. keep in mind while reading this we had about 8 people trying to do this. Meetings about 1 time a month, that ment some of us drove 4 hours 1 way for meetings. 2 weeks before derby we had 9 boats and 30 meals, now I don't know what you know about ordering meals but they need a pretty good count about 1 week before the event. 4 days before the dery the # went to 53 boats and over 100 meals. 1 day before the derby we are now at 72 boats and over 200 meals. the night of the meeting we went to 96 boats 250 meals and people were still bying meals at the weigh in. This also found us trying to find more tables, a tent, donations for gift bags, trash cans, a PA system and so on. At the meeting 8 people were trying to sign new teams, sell meal tickets,collect waivers,sell 50/50 tickets, make the need rule changes. Yes we did have a dead line of weigh in, but that was when we thought we had 50 teams, now should We desqualify half the feild because we could not weigh fish fast enogh. We aslo relized we were overwelmed at the meeting so we did flex on some rules, that was the fair thing to do. For a firts year derby we had more boats than ANY derby, we also raised over $700 dollars for the net pen. As for the this will be my first and last LSRC or calling us shotty, roll up your sleaves and see what it takes to make it happen. The way I see it you can go 3 ways on this 1 hang in and grow with us 2 get involved and help make it smoother 3 take you marbels ang go home. Which ever you chose will work just fine for me. I will be at my boat for the rest of the season feel free to drop by, we can sit down have a cold one and talk this over.

Captain Ron Jacoby Beginner's Luck Sport Fishing 570-759-0788 please no calls after 7 pm as my baby is sleeping

Well said Ron.

Dont let the view of 1 person get under your skin. Just think how many people did have a great time.

Already looking forward to next years LSRC. Jordan and I will be there.

Have you run that prototype Savant spoon I gave you??? Robbie took some fish on that spoon the other day. Let me know.

[email protected]

Brad

Ron as i stated above i feel your pain .to help in the future get your board togeather asap while the event is fresh in your mind and take notes as to your problem areas, Form sub commites if you all try to do it alone youll get burnt out ,again write everything down to assist the new helpers to better understand to whole process,in the last 30 years of working on non profit events the number one saying is (The only thing worse than having no rules is having rules and not enforcing them)i was one of the orig boats to sign up (phone beth)july 19th along with 3 meals,if ya post a cutoff time for signup and you flex that one rule you now see and posted the added work it caused your limited staff. I know it hurts to turn someone away at the last minute but unless you have a contingency plan for each variable your the ones to suffer and hustle.also after working on the derby (your baby) its easy to get over involved and see things from a defensive point of view,as you see most were happy with the event cept the capt. meeting that was confirmed to me at 1:00 fri afternoon by Beth , and the cut off time for weigh in as posted , and the meal time .the other side is i saw some Mass. plates long drive, and I also had a 300 mi trip to fish the derby with 150.00 plus in gas and 80.00 in register. and food tickets, so ya gotta be open to critique and complements and learn by them both.. did you you say free beer at your boat????????hmmmm beer 300 miles ant that far :) oh and you guys take a month or two off and just fish(thats where the notes come in when you forget every thing that happend)Ray K.

Just want to say that many of these problems could have been avoided "IF" you stayed with the origonal rules posted: Cut off for entries July 22, 2007 !!

Somehow the committee was convinced to throw out these rules that were posted on the boards and wing it. That was your downfall for anyone who had any complaints. I was entered before that cutoff and was in disbeleif of all the changes that took place last minute. There is a rumor going around that a lot of pro boats from the pro am (some boycotted the Oswego pro am) had a lot to do with manipulating the LSRC tourney. I actually am starting to think this was the case myself after seeing first hand all the changes that took place up until the capts meeting that even I did not know about and thought it was 7:30pm until I ran into another angler at all Seasons tackle shop and they told me 6:30pm. Sorry but I guess someone had to say it. The origonal folks running the tourney did a great job, no, impossible job, after being convinced to change all the rules last minute. We'll see how many of these boats enter next years LSRC.

No accusations were made, maybe you should adjust your reading glasses, I said rumor. Why then were all the rules of the tourney changed last minute.

http://www.glangler.com/fishingreports.html

Conferences Fishing Reports Lake Ontario Reports, News & Questions Topic #1342

LSRC-Entry2007.jpg

RulesandRegulationsforfishing2.jpg

Ok how about reading these as most of us did. Please explain why the tourney deviated from these rules.

Hope you know you may be opening a big can of worms here. To me thats like putting my deposit on a new boat for a set price only to come and pick it up and have the seller tell me the price is $5,000. more.[/img]

OK, let me reword that.

When you start spreading rumors, make sure you have your facts straight.

As far as why the rules were changed, i am not getting into it here. If you want an explanation I am on Catfish Creek down Chase drive. Or you can talk to any of the other committee members.

janz I never saw that post at GLA. that makes the 3rd different set of rules i have seen for this derby that one ,the one posted on this site under myquestioning if there was a LSR ,and the set handed out in the goodie bag at the meeting..bottom line a lesson learned by all involved,it was a good day fishing ,good day to toss a couple beers ,and a belly full of food,and some money back to the pen rearing project, heck with the DQ.clause i came in 7th not bad for 2 fish,or was that a couple burgers and a belly full of beer,and LIGHTNING if your a board member you might wanna consider an APOLOGY as the people who brought up this little line "THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN HAVING NO RULES IS TO HAVE RULES AND NOT ENFORCE THEM"were the lawyers we hired to help prevent lawsuits if something should go wrong.as a good friend used to say to me more than once (SOMETIMES YA GOTTA LOOK AT YOUR SHOES)

I have spoken with 2 and they just looked at me with no explanation. Now your saying you don't want to discuss it here. Who and when will give an answer so I can tell the others that keep asking me if I know why the rules were changed. It was close to the point on the Friday before the tourney that I was going to ask to withdraw and get my money back but then a sponsor stepped forward and payed the entry and picnic fees along with some new equipment so I bit my lip and fished.

I saw a great shirt at the weigh in that said: "Shut up and fish".

Your opinion has been heard. It's the first year this was run. Give them a second chance next year and lets see where things pan out. Remember this is a fish for fun event meant to raise $$ for pen rearing etc. ......

Just my .02

Well said Brad.

I too was shocked to find the captain's meeting was changed. I showed up @ 7:30 and found out the meeting was over, but Rich D was nice enough to go over everything with me....thanks Rich. I was in Oswego for Harborfest so I had no way of knowing any changes took place. Either way, it all worked out so no big deal. It was the first one and things are bound to be a little bumpy. Changing the time of the meeting is really the only thing I'd say should have not happened.

Our team will be glad to participate again next year and I'm sure it will run much smoother. I don't know that we really have the right to complain. Putting one of these events together must be a huge undertaking and we should be thanking those who did their best to make it happen for us. Yes, things may need to be changed, but I'm sure lessons have been learned.

My guess is that the ones who complain the most about the rules ( I saw alot of it in the Oswego pro/am also) are the first ones who'd cry if all these derbies & pro/am's went away.

As for Team Lucky Enuff, we'd like to thank those who did their best to put the lsrc together for all your time and effort and we look forward to an improved event in 08.

Rod K