All I can say is slow! What a difference a couple of days make :shock: No fish in site and bait all but disappeared.

Unless you like the lake trout action and there was a lot of that today from other boats that "targeted" them. Guys like Gambler, Trout and About that hammered them it the 25-35 amounts, and Jax aka Mr. Drops :? :x :P who also boated like 8 or 9 the fishing was slowwwwwww.

I ended up 3 for 3 with 2 mature kings in the 25lb range and 1 freakin 10-12LB Lake Trout that those other guys stirred up :x when I was passing by them (Gambler, Trout and About and I all had fish on within 100 feet of each other)

1 King was on a Mag R&R watermelon back 35ft, down 60ft over 130ft on a rigger.

The other was on my super Siggs rigs Green apple fly behind that Mtn Dew on Mtn Dew Spinny that just keeps taking fish (fly is getting a little worn but it is a great testament to the job they do on those flys :D:D ) on the wire back 180 on 2.5 in 85ft of water. Seemed like maybe they liked a little speed as I sped up to 3.5 GPS and took both kings on turns.

Thanks to Capt. Pat for giving me a call today after being out last night with some info and Gambler for the storm info :shock: and Jax for his info also.

Pat told me later today a friend of his was doing well on fish out in 300ft :shock:

Tom,

Nice talking to you out there today. I stopped a the launch to make sure you made it back in during the storm. I did not see you so I called Jax and he said you were already on the way home. We ended up boating and releasing 28 lakers and kept a bleeder brown about 8-9 lbs.

Thanks again for the concern, I actually pulled in right behind Trout & About. Did he have some engine trouble? I heard somebody say something about losing some power or something that was coming in.

I was gonna drive over to the other side to see you but I had to get going. Another time maybe.

Next time I'm fishing near you please don't disturb the lake trout around me :lol:

Yea Tom,

I tried to make it out 2 afternoons this week hoping to catch the action while it was still "hot", but the lake was not co-operating with my schedule. :( I even drove all the way up there Thursday afternoon to find onshore waves with white caps & not to inviting clouds. :x O'well maybe early next week.

I don't know, I always hear a lot of people complain about Lakers, but I think they have "saved" many a fishing trip - especially for the charter boats. Yea they don't always put a great fight, but at least your doing something while your out there waiting for a "screamer".

Take care.

GOOD FISHING ALL!

LTtroller

(Bob)

Well said LT, I have had similar feelings as Tom in the past, but theres still something exiting about putting 30 fish in the boat of any kind!! Jay also downsized rods when we were pulling the Lakers and those fish can give a solid head nod, especially if you "finesse" fight them(I was driving for his trip, strictly as a friend..his usual first mate and wife Trish had to work). Bottom line is the kings were off and people just want to catch fish!! Tom, I was gonna give you a shout, but when you passed us you were busy!! Way to go boating those two kings!! Tank.

Gents - Was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. Going to try to take my nephew out tomorrow, but since my boat is on the smaller side, and he has limited patience being only 9, I'd like to actually get into some lakers for some action. What would be the best way to target them off Sandy. Depth, presentation, etc. I've got riggers to get down deep, just wondering what to offer them.

Thank you in advanced.

Hijinks,

I "earned" my name down on the fingerlakes bouncing bottom with a Seth Green for the "dreaded" Lake Trout.

I have not tried for them (yet Fishinman :P ) on the Big O, so I will defer your :?: to someone experienced on the big lake. I imagine running your set up on, or near bottom, in the 70 - 100' depth range would do the trick, but I can't say for sure. Maybe some others will respond with some better tips.

Hopefully you will get into some LT and "hook" the young lad for life!

GOOD LUCK! :):):)

LTtroller

(Bob)

Hijinks,

Head to 95 FOW from the Creek to the nose. Troll VERY slow (.07 - 1.7). 1.3 seems to be the best speed. I run 2 cowbell and peanut rigs 1' off the bottom. If you do not have speed and temp, you can guage your speed by cable angle. I like an angle a little less than 45 degrees. I highly reccomned not horsing the lakers to the boat and using a rubber net. I found the rubber net gets them back in the water a lot quicker. They always tend to twist up in the other style nets. If the laker is full of air, you will need to burb them to get the air out. This needs to be done gently so the laker is not hurt in the process. I also keep 2 riggers high in the water column for kings, steelies and browns. The other day I caught 1 brown and had 2 other knock offs on these rods while trolling lakers. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Hijinks, cowbells are the ticket from what I saw the other day (never used them :D ) but like LT said get what ever you can down near the bottom and run it SLOW!! Use as light a rod as you can to give you a better fight. One suggestion for you is to have your nephew bring a book or game boy with him to keep him occupied while you are trolling.

Good luck and don't be afraid to go for some kings early then try for the lakers :x

Try to contact Brian aka Gambler (boat name "Escape" on CH.72) if he's out he can put you on them he's an expert :P

So the morning started off with my brother and nephew cancelling on me, and my neighbor tagging along instead.

I failed to realize this morning when in 154 fow that my rigger cable was frayed at the end, and kerplunk when my 10 pound ball to the depths below. Anyways - we didn't do too well out there. Little rough for the neighbors liking and just wasn't feeling it today. Saw a few boats in closer, should have went in there for the browns - sounds like they did well.

Is that the depth they typically run out there? Also - Does anyone have a picture of what a cowbell looks like?

Thank for the help guys!

Brian,

I highly reccomned not horsing the lakers to the boat and using a rubber net. I found the rubber net gets them back in the water a lot quicker. They always tend to twist up in the other style nets. If the laker is full of air, you will need to burb them to get the air out. This needs to be done gently so the laker is not hurt in the process.

NO COMMENT :x :roll: :!:

Did well tonight guys. Few nice kings, and YES, I picked up a laker without the cowbell. Pretty sure we dragged him for a while without knowing. But - we still got him in, and he took back off with no harm done. Nice night out there. 110 FOW down about 85. Lost another rigger ball. Pretty sure the cable is done. Neighbor caught his first king, so he was like a pig in feces. Be out again later this week. Launch was a joke tonight as well. Thought for sure I was going to see some fist fights.