Downrigger Placement

So I just mounted two downriggers for my first time out this weekend. The distance from the line to the prop is about 5 ft. I am mounting them on a 19' Tracker. Is that too close to the prop? I am concerned about getting the wire caught in the prop and causing damage. How tight of a turn can you generally make with riggers down? Or do you guys generally keep a straight line into the wind when trolling?

Thanks

I guess you mounted them on the sides, correct? You should be able to turn as sharp as you want while trolling without worry. You will know withing 5 minutes on the water, just make some tight turns and watch your cables. Problems come if you go into nuetral in a stiff cross wind. That can put your cables into your prop as you drift accross them. Keep that in mind if you ever do that. You need to ensure your cables are clear before shifting into gear. Shifting into nuetral is not something you will be doing too often with your riggers deployed. It is kind of an exrtremis situation thing.

Thanks for the info. Yes, they are off of the sides but angled towards the back. The cable basically runs straight down the corner where the stern ends. I will take your advice and make a couple turns to see how it plays out.

Thanks

I ha e cannons mounted on my tracker Targa v-17 and was also worried about cable going into kicker motor.I bought the swivel bases and run them on the 22.5 degree setting .This really gives u a lot more room to play with.Also easier to put on and take off weight .

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png