Gator Releases

Does anyone have any opinion on Gator releases? I see them for sale and they look descent but I have no experience with them or any others for that matter. I dont see them mentioned much on this site either. I notice the sell them in light, medium and heavy. Are tighter releases better or do people look for a lighter tension?

Thanks

Jeff, I have some in my boat. In my opinion they are a waste of your money. I have the heavy tension releases and they can't hold then in the release fishing any deeper that 50'. What pain the arse!

If you like pinch pad type releases, the Off-Shore brand is very good, heavy tension. Also Cannon has pinch pad releases that I think are adjustable, and are probably a quality product given the Cannon name. A little more money than the Gators, but well worth it.

I have also ran Black releases and Roemers with good success.

better still, get the Scotty power grip pinch pad releases.

As is well documented on here, I hate blacks releases. Scotty's do everything that blacks do, but IMO, are superior in every aspect and they are much easier to set and also to see on the rod when you have a shaker on. You can load the crap out of the rods and don't get any false releases.

Tim

better still, get the Scotty power grip pinch pad releases.

As is well documented on here, I hate blacks releases. Scotty's do everything that blacks do, but IMO, are superior in every aspect and they are much easier to set and also to see on the rod when you have a shaker on. You can load the crap out of the rods and don't get any false releases.

Tim

I agree with Tim. Although I don't hate the Blacks releases, the Scotty pinch pad releases just plain work, and are brainless to set. Easy to have newbies help set lines. Also, the comment about seeing shakers is spot on. I do have a Blacks release on each rigger, as they provide a way to terminate my probe riggers, and the shaft of the Blacks provide a spot for the Scotty clip that will allow rotation.