Olcott 7-15 and 7-16-11 - Holy Crap!!!

We fished the LOTSA Curt Meddaugh Memorial Prefish Tournament and LOTSA Club Salmon Tournament on Friday and Saturday and Fishing continues to be out of this world out of Olcott. East and NE winds didn't quite cause an upwelling, but it brought the down temp inshore up high. we had low 70's on the surface and 40-44 deg down 45-50 feet both days, with temp getting a little deeper as you headed offshore.

Best fishing was in 100-200 fow, mostly in the top 50 feet. Spoons and flasher flies were both going off regularly so there really didn't seem to be a preference for one over the other.

We landed 20+ on Friday and over 30 on Saturday. I couldn't even begin to tell you now many bites we had. Doubled up repeatedly both days and had 1 triple on Sat.

The highlight of the weekend was a 29 lb king that hit an NBK stingray first thing Saturday morning as we were letting the starboard wire diver creep out (1st rod out) and the fish hit as it was creeping out with maybe 70' of wire out and took the line counter over 550 on it's initial run. That fish is currently sitting in 9th place on the LOC leaderboard and also took 2nd place in the LOTSA Tourny.

Lots of steelhead in tight in that pocket of cold water.

Colors: lots of green and chrome and mirage type flasher/fly combos,

green and purple spoons, dalmatian spinny/hammer fly on a 200 copper went repeatedly both days.

Riggers were at 45 and 35 and took a ton of shots.

fleas were pretty bad in there both days.

At the LOC Weigh Station

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

nice king from Friday

IMG_0639.jpg

Oh yeah, and ah, where have we seen THIS before :)

IMG_0023.jpg

Fun time to be on the lake.

Tim

Nice Tim, beautiful fish!! I was out Saturday with my father around 7am to about 3pm. Fished from the barn to port. I only did about 11 fish 2 small kings and rest steelhead. I seem to be getting mainly steelhead...any advise for a newer guy on getting into some kings?? I just installed my fishhawk and was in the temp range 44-49 speed was 1.8-3.1 all day and marking bait. Tried changing directions on them...as well as I could in the zoo that was out there in the morning :lol: counted 46 boats at 1 time. I've gotten into some salmon this year but nothing consistent like you always seem to do. Thanks,

Scott

No doubt about that Chrome. I wasn't directly in the pack, I was a bit west of them approx. 1/4 mile. Seemed to hook up (steelhead)most when heading east but by the time I needed to turn I was close to the others. I use the same logic out on the lake as I do in the streams, heavy pressure and when they are shallow makes for tight lips...so I try to keep a distance when possible. So I had some water to myself and unfortunatly...no decent Kings.

you needed to continue west. on Saturday, we dropped off plane in 70 fow in front of the barn and trolled WNW and then basically did a big circle once we found a good concentration of fish. We actually spent the day much closer to Wilson in 100-200 fow and had almost no company all morning.

Tim

Thanks guys, looks like she ended up in 10th place. We've had quite a few on the board over the years, but this is the 1st to hold on til the end since the one I had in the 2001 Spring Derby.

Tim

Nice job Tim looks like alot of fun. God I can't wait till this weekend, a friend of mine came up and did 4 over 20 in a couple days and countless other kings, stable weather should keep the fish were they are at. Saturday am can't come soon enough. I love the first NY of the year, got a new truck to bring up and alot of new gear too, can't wait!

Tim I had the last two weeks off an man the fishing has been outstanding! Congrats on the big fish! We weighed in a fourth place steelie with 20 minutes to spare today! The king bite is just insane out there for us the last two weeks! The fall should be awesome! I think all the hard work the lotsa group is doing is helping!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Great job Tim, what a slob! Congrats on the derby fish. We were in the same area with you and continued west trying to avoid all the traffic. We were in the 19 ft sea nymph going around in little circles every time we got a bite (fiance is just learning to drive the boat).

Other than the fleas it was an awesome weekend out on the lake.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Awesome Tim... Had to be a thrill getting a strike while letting the dipsy out!

This is getting my blood boiling to get out. After a week fishing for boots lake george it will be nice to get out on the open water again

Awesome Tim... Had to be a thrill getting a strike while letting the dipsy out!

This is getting my blood boiling to get out. After a week fishing for boots lake george it will be nice to get out on the open water again

That actually happens quite a bit, that is why I always let the divers just creep out on a light drag with the rod in its holder, fishing their way out to the depth I want to park that diver at. That actually happened another time on Saturday as well with a nice steelhead.

Tim

Congrats my friend. Looking forward to my next trip up in a week and a half. Will I see you at the Fair Haven Challenge?

Richard

Hi Richard, I don't think so, I believe we'll be staying local this year. It's too much hassle pulling the boat out of it's slip and heading east since I don't really have a tow vehicle anymore.

Tim