fleas messing up sonar?

So we were out yesterday and the fleas were terrible. After starting with a 6 rod spread, we ended up with 3 in the water - 2 fleaflicker rods and one wire diver.

The weird thing that kept happening was my sonar kept behaving like it was broke - showing 5 FOW when we were in 165 - 180 FOW. Then it sould show the real depth again for a while, then 5 FOW again. I was getting bummed out, thinking my transducer was shot... but then as we trolled back toward shore and got into 120 fow and shallower, the sonar worked non-stop. From the fleas we pulled up on our mono rods and the ones that slid down the wire diver, they were really thick yesterday. This has me wondering if maybe it was fleas causing problems, not my transducer going bad.

Any thoughts?

Here's a shot of what was on the wire diver line when we reeled in, at least they slide down to the terminal end on wire:

IMG00174jpg.jpg

No it's a Lowrance LMS332C. I keep it set on auto sensitivity and auto depth range. When it went flaky on me, it was reading right around 5 FOW when I know I was in over 160FOW, then it would start reading accurate depth again for a while.

I'm going to need to take the user guide out and look through settings. I bet if I had adjusted the right settings it would have worked fine.

back to fleas... I keep reading that 30# big game line is as good as flea flicker - is this really true? I'm planning to go buy a bulk spool of it and don't want to be wasting my money.

back to fleas... I keep reading that 30# big game line is as good as flea flicker - is this really true? I'm planning to go buy a bulk spool of it and don't want to be wasting my money.

I use 30# Ande pink on my rigger rods and never have much of a problem with fleas. To run mono on a dipsy is a pain so I just reel the fleas right up to my twilly tip and they cut right thru & I dip the end in the water to get them off. Good luck ;)

I use 30# Ande pink on my rigger rods and never have much of a problem with fleas. To run mono on a dipsy is a pain so I just reel the fleas right up to my twilly tip and they cut right thru & I dip the end in the water to get them off. Good luck ;)

any particular reason for using the pink?