Wire rod question

After so much talk about wire dipsey set ups I finally bought one. After much readings on here I got a Diawa 9'6" heartland dipsey rod and Diawa Sealine 47LC reel with 1000' of wire. Tried it for the first time Sat and it didn't take long to figure why everyone was saying it is a great set up. 5 of the 7 fish came off that set up, and I only had 1 wire setup.

My question is around 4 rod placement. I ran 2 riggers off the side which have short beams, but put the poles in the 2 center rod holders. I ran a mono small dipsey off the one side with an adjustable rod holder horizontal to the water. I could not do that with the wire set up since it had some much pull, I was afraid the holder would not hold it and I would lose my pole. So I put the wire rod (dipsey setting 2) in the outer rod holder on the rigger. Everything was fine till a steely (guessing) took a spoon on the rigger closest to the wire and started jumping all over the place. Line broke within 30 seconds since I believe he crossed the wire line. I am thinking I need to do something else so I can keep the wire away from riggers. I have a 1983 18' blue fin which is not very wide. Should I run the riggers straight back instead of off the sides? Or should I get a better single rod holder and brace it to the boat so I can run the rod horizontal to the water like I have seen on the "wire hit" video under the video section? New to wire dipseys but love it already.

Thanks for all your help,

Rick

Run your riggers off the back or off your corners and get a quality aluminum rod holder to run horizontal to the wate, this will increase your spread. I have a 21 ft boat with a 8 ft beam I can run 4 wires and 2 riggers with ease and never get tangles. I normally only run 2 wires but once in awhile I'll run 4. Here is what one side of my spread looks like.

markspread.jpg

if you have a bow rail buy a good set of rail mounted rod holders and put your dipsys up front, that is the way i have mine set up and run them pretty much horizontal with the water. they run great with 2 riggers off the back and 2 on the sides with 4 foot booms. i have a 22 foot cc with a 8' beam.