Moon Phases - How does this affect salmon fishing

I know this has probably been discussed before, but how does the moon phase affect salmon fishing in Lake O?

My mercurey calendar said this weekend would be great for fishing - I went 6/6 this Saturday but nothing to write home about.

Met up with a fisherman on Sunday and he landed over 30 fish. He said Saturday was a bad day to fish because of the full moon

on Friday night, causing the fish to feed all night, so nothing was all that interested on Sat morning.

I'm sitting there shaking my head - everytime I get off the water, it seems there's another excuse for not being able to land more

than 8 fish.

Anyhow - if there is truth in this, when is the best moon phase for fishing in the morning and evening?

Thanks.

Actually with the full moon and the kings feeding all night, yes the first light bite is usually pretty weak as they fish are full, however, they typically get hungry again mid day, so that 11:00am-2:00pm period can be super hot the day after a clear sky/full moon.

Tim

Actually with the full moon and the kings feeding all night, yes the first light bite is usually pretty weak as they fish are full, however, they typically get hungry again mid day, so that 11:00am-2:00pm period can be super hot the day after a clear sky/full moon.

Tim

yep happened to us sunday

Last Friday we hung in there for the moon underfoot around 1-1;30 and the bite was on! I use Prime Times calender and believe in it. I still try to put all the time I can on the water or in the woods when I get to go.

See you on the pond!

Mark,

I fished all last weekend from sun-up til about 10:30 or 11 AM both days and it was the best fishing I've ever had on this lake with fish biting the minute we set the rods in the water. I talked to a few of my buddies on the water Saturday and Sunday and there was no shortage of bites early on.

I would focus more on speed and your set-up rather than the moon phase.

Good luck,

- Chris

I think my setup is okay - I am getting hits from all kinds Kings, Coho, Atlantic, Steelhead, etc.

The one thing I can't control is down speed - I don't have a rigger to test this, I use dipsey wire rods. Annyhow the other issue is my boat goes at the slowest 2.8 mph on the gps - I can't go any slower. This might be an issue, am somewhat worried about it, but I have a 20 ft ski and fish boat with a 4.3L IO Merc engine, and there's not too much I can do. There is an electric trolling motor but it's a bit of a pain to hook up.

Do you think 2.8 mph is too fast and it is worthwhile for me to go to the electric trolling motor, or is this a good enough gps speed. I was told that in general down speed is 0.5 mph less, so that would make my downspeed around 2.3 mph.

I think my setup is okay - I am getting hits from all kinds Kings, Coho, Atlantic, Steelhead, etc.

The one thing I can't control is down speed - I don't have a rigger to test this, I use dipsey wire rods. Annyhow the other issue is my boat goes at the slowest 2.8 mph on the gps - I can't go any slower. This might be an issue, am somewhat worried about it, but I have a 20 ft ski and fish boat with a 4.3L IO Merc engine, and there's not too much I can do. There is an electric trolling motor but it's a bit of a pain to hook up.

Do you think 2.8 mph is too fast and it is worthwhile for me to go to the electric trolling motor, or is this a good enough gps speed. I was told that in general down speed is 0.5 mph less, so that would make my downspeed around 2.3 mph.

yep a bag will work fine but if you are not looking to spend money.. a couple 5 gallon buckets work pretty well too!

Okay, some weekly feedback on my topics. I loaded Prime Times Lunar Calendars - it said fishing would be good today from 6:30 - 9:30. Sure enough we hooked into 13 fish during this time - after 9:30 it all went quiet. Then it said at about 2 pm it would pick up again, and at 10 mins to two we started getting bites with 17 lb and 19 lb kings in the order.

I really do think this moon thing works.