Keeping Dipseys to the Side

I went out for my first time last weekend and everything went well accept the dipsey rod was a major pain. It kept going behind the boat no matter what I tried. At first I thought I had lest and right confused but that didn't change anything after adjusting. I am wondering if the spin doctor/fly is causing too much drag or perhaps I was going too fast. How are others doing keeping the dipsey out to the side?

Jeff,

I've posted this pic/sketch here before but I'll do it again. Divers are deceptive, they are actually further away from the boat than they look, The line coming off the rod appears to be going straight back, but it bellys out after it is back a little ways and in reality looks something like this in the water.

diverLayout.jpg

keeping the rod holder as flat and parallel to the water as possible helps also, note the diver rod in this pic

P9010027.jpg

Tim

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Is that diver rod somehow fixed to the rod holder? I saw the posts with the tethers but even those seem like they would still let the rod fall out.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Is that diver rod somehow fixed to the rod holder? I saw the posts with the tethers but even those seem like they would still let the rod fall out.

The rod won't "fall out". The pressure and tension exerted by the diver itself will be enough to keep the rod in the holder. Ever notice how hard it is to get a diver rod out of the holder with a big, ticked off king on the other end?

I've noticed a few days that if I was trolling across the current, the diver appears to be crossing behind the boat. I pulled the diver to check the setting and it was correct. Probably your downrigger cables are pulling the same way. All my gear was still running clean so I don't sweat it too much.

The only way that the diver rod would come out of the holder is if you turn too tight to that side and the diver pulls the rod straight out by pointing the rod tip at the diver. I put the rod holder up one notch when I turn that tight.