I'm at a loss for words here....

I'm posting this story because its true. This last spring there was a lot of talk about the state of rainbow trout populations in Seneca. I think we all know one of the reasons why, the main reproduction stream has basically been turned into a ditch. No way can polt or eggs survive in Cathrine creek now, it has no over cover or deep pools to control the temp, and silt due to bank erosion is a real problem as well. With that said........

I live in the town of Montery on Switzerhill rd. A main feeder creek to Meads creek(a protected trout stream), called Goundry creek runs through the valley that I live in. Up until now this creek held some of the last sustaining native brook trout in the area. The neighbor has taken it upon himself to completely strip this creek of bank vegetation, substrate, and gravel, via bulldozer, backhoe, and truck. He has in effect turned this stream into a ditch in the sense of the word. I have called the DEC, and the soil and water conservation dept. What am I told? Because this stream is not a protected stream, only a feeder stream to a protected stream.....that what he is doing is his right and there is nothing that can be done!!!! I'm not talking a little moving of gravel here, I'm talking a total over haul and displacement of 1/2 to 3/4 mile section of stream bed, that will as soon as it rains, very much effect a protected stream. And the DEC is just giving this guy a green light to do as he pleases, no permission, no permit, just, "Go ahead and ruin trout waters friend". Like I said, this is a MAJOR construction project with no engineering study, no impact study......just go ahead and do as you please....nah no need for anything formal pal....just go ahead.....

And then when streams and natural resources are gone the DEC has the balls to ask why????

I just can not believe that one person is free to do this and it will effect miles and miles of trout stream, not to mention, residents down stream, not to mention the devastation just in the general area already.

If anyone has any ideas or is in a position to do anything about this feel free to PM me. But like I said...don't bother with the DEC, they've told me to stop bothering them about this.

Native Brook Trout's virtual extinction in this part of NYS is a sad thing. I used to know where there were a few around Watkins Glen, 40-50 years ago, but doubt they are still in those places. I once caught a 15 inch 2 pounder in Hornby NY, above Beaver Dams. The disappearance of these beautiful little fish is the measure of our disregard for the natural world, as in the example described. Too bad.

Dry Run headwaters right, Ray? I remember at the very highest ground you could see the springs gushing out of the hillside. I flipped a log over looking for worms and found a whopper of a timber rattler, one summer's day. I have not been back there for a long time...been in CA for 25 years, but may check it out this fall. I used to get a Brookie once in awhile in the creek that runs down through Moreland into the "basin" in Montour Falls. Still some big browns in that one...I mean big, like 4 or 5 pounds. I once caught a small native Brookie in Hector Falls creek which I used to fish a lot for Browns. Cranberry Creek in Texas Hollow has still got them, but it is all posted now. I used to get a bigger thrill with finding the tiny native fish than catching other kinds of bigger trout. Catherine Creek headwaters still has a few close to the big springs near the holding point. In the fall when they spawn, the males are colored up so they look like tropical fish...what a hoot to find those fish.

Not to sound like a jerk guys...but please don't name names, one selfish fool and a streams stocks can be ruined for years or worse.

Meads creek has a few very large native brooks left...but this same individual tore up a large portion of that creek a few years ago for another farmer....then ran like a little girl when the DEC came, he denied it and the farmer got the shiznit fined out of him. The guy I'm talking about is a real scum bag, and a snake, He "sold" around 5 acres of state land in a deal to another guy....like I said...real scum. But the authority's always find a convenient reason not to do anything to him.

Even if the stream isn't a protected stream from a trout standpoint, he was still obligated to stay within confines of the Clean Water Act. So if there was a visible contrast in water color from above where he was working to below, he could have been fined for a water quality violation. Also depending on how much gravel was removed he might have needed a mining permit from the DEC. On the federal side of stream work, is the Army Corps of Engineers, who actually have more jurisdiction over streams and waterways than DEC. He definitely would have needed a permit through the Corps (Buffalo District), and depending on if he did apply for one, if he followed the plans, or didn't stay within the specifications in the permit, he could be in violation with them as well. It may be worth contacting the Buffalo District for the Corps on this matter. They can have him restore the section.

There are other means of restoring and stabilizing the section using logs, vegetation and carefully placed stones so all is not lost yet. Most streams in central NY have become out of balance with the large storm events the last few years. Hope this helps and makes sense, I do a bit of stream work myself.

Thank you for your reply, I will call the Army corps of engineers today. Trout unlimited was e-mail for what thats worth.

humblefisher, This guy has no intention of ever fixing his mess, he simply doesn't have the mental capacity to understand what he's done to the stream bed is much worse than what was there before. For a comparison, this site is basically what the L.A. river looks like, only without a concrete lining. He has dug down past the gravel flipped the gravel and refilled with dirt, as soon as it rains all of this is going directly into Meads creek and the Chemung river drainage.

Keep digging, may be worth contacting the DEC again as well and pull the mining card. Unfortunately scenes like this happen all the time, it's just that you actually noticed it. If he is in there again may be worth blowing the whistle and calling an ECO. The folks at the Corps are quite reasonable and will likely investigate in some manor, but you know how speedy the government is. Who knows he could have even obtained the appropriate permits but did not complete the project as it was supposed to be. Have you tried speaking with the guy about this? If it as bad as it sounds, he will have to do it again anyways. Good luck!