Lake Erie out of SBH about 6 miles out...

Mark Komo

Took the boat to work today, and decided to hit the SBH afterwards. Boat mate got a bit green, since it was kinda bumpy out there. Found some nice fish 42.48/78.57, just outside the canada line, around 52 or so FOW. We were out about an hour, got 4 walleye, biggest 7lb11oz, and 1 trash can lid (big sheepshead). Pink beads, pink blade with chart back, and 3 oz inline running 1.4. to 1.6, 50 feet behind the board.

Now go get em.

Mark-I have the same inlines but I am not a big inline fan. How far do run the lead from the inline to the harness? On my dipseys I run anywhere from a 10' to 25' lead to my lure-and handline the fish to the boat. I run slide divers also-but I mostly run the Walker Deeper Divers so I can hit bottom in 100 fow-the slides don't get that deep. Handlining in an 8 lb eye by yourself and trying to net it in bumpy water is thrilling-to say the least!

Walteye

Especially if you don't fall out!

Ha, walteye. Yeah, dont fall out of the boat! :D

5 to 6 feet is just about fine. I try not to exceed the length from the rod tip to the bottom. I like the inlines. Whens its surging though, I go to snaps. Inlines no fun in the surge.

One other thing. I had to dump the rear treble in favor of a single gamatsu. The treble was spookin the fish.

Got out Monday ,5footers .Drifted channel from tips of breakwalls.Picked up 3 eyes .Made it out Tuesday evening 5 to 9 picked up 7 eyes .4 in the 7,1/2 to 8 # range .Fished the 42 to 51 fow area 5 miles out far side of seneca shoal .Stick baites and harnesses on the bottom .A few buddies out doing the same .About time things starting to pick up ..GET OUT AND GET EM NOW

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Absolutely, its the the movement from the water. Inline are great for non surge, less eg 2-4 foot waves. As the surge increases I move to snap weights higher on the line.

So imagine 52 FOW, with a 3 to 6 foot wave. As the boat surges, the offshore board surges. If you have an inline, it "jerks" the bait. If you add a snapweight 20 feet from the bait, the mono from the board to the snap is absorbed in the mono stretch from the board to the snap.

I am gonna get Gill T out out on the water in the new few weeks.

Glow Colorado with glow and red beads......chartriuse Colorado with pink and yellow beads ....foreigner with green and Orange beads ...new stick bait ..forgot the name(honeycomd) pattern scales with lime green back ....looks like a renowski...hope this helps .....put 10 in the box this morning ..same area and depth

Keep it up. Fish are movin east very fast. Asthabula and Conneaut starting to fire. Barcelona and dunkirk starting up as well.

New stick bait ey? There are new stick baits out there? HA!. its got the roll of the renosky. thats a nice roll.

Fishing the deep waters off Silver Creek has been unproductive for us the past few weeks. A lot of fish available, they just will not bite with all the forage available down there. Miles of bait, twenty feet high off the bottom have shut the bite down. Five trips to 82 foot of water resulted in 0 walleyes. Maybe we should go back to perch fishing out in the bait schools. Water temperature of surface water is 77 degrees. Riggers, dipseys, lead core rigs, snap weights, nothing seems to produce lately there. East of Sturgeon Point though seems to have a lot of good reports from near the Border Line to Buffalo Harbor.

The yellow and white perch and white bass seem to survive feeding on them and that keeps the numbers down. That also could be the reason we find a lot of bottom fish suspending. The fleas congregate where the plankton is heaviest.

Thats a good point. Always thought the deeper fish were more like resident fish. Higher fish, especially as you get closer to PA border were the transients from the west. With this hot spell, more fish are movin east.

I was fishing the Canadian side near Port Mailtland last weekend and the fleas were unreal. Had to clear your line every 20 minutes or so or else your eyes would plug up, not exactly ideal fishing for spunky eyes. Closer to Buffalo however I have never had a problem.

10 days ago fishing out of Barcelona my verticle dipsey lines would be covered and jam up the guides. My more horizontal lead core lines never had much on them or the nylon sheath of the lead core would not grab them. The dipsey lines were a pain.

Walteye

Mark- I run 30# braid like Rebs. I can get to at least 90' with my Walker Deeper Divers on a 0 or 1 setting. I went out of Dunkirk on 7/10 and had a bare screen-thats why I went to Barcelona. Biggest fish came on a home made rig- NK spoon in watermelon with hook removed-attached to a 1' lead and a watermelon crawler harness on lead core. 9 1/2 and 10 1/4 #.

Walteye