v8 question

bob03567

I need some info from anyone that ownes a v8 inboard on there fishing machine. I just came across a 24 ft cuddy fully loaded. The old timer hurt his back and just wants to dump it. I all most lost it when he said 3,000 for it all. The problem is. Its got a v8. Just by me have an 85 hp on my 18 footer I go thru 26 gal. in a day trollling.

So how bad is it using a v8. I'm talking trolling around with it, and does the engine itself like doing trolling speeds with it being a v8.

I already know about putting a kicker to get better gas, except the boat already has a full swim platform on the rear. so thats out.

wow.... my 70hp outboard uses about 5 gallons a day trolling.

I'd think that there are many factors that affect your trolling speed, not so much the fact that it is a v-8 or v-6.

The prop for example

If you guys are serous, becuase I am. than that force engine I have must have some kind of a problem. becuase I swear i burn 26 gal. a day fishng. I've had the motor in for a check up every season. I don't like to take any chances with a motor problem out on the big lake.

I have looked for a different prop. I've yet to come across one for a force. But that boat was another good deal so I bought it.

So I am realy interested in knowing what the average of a v8 burns a day. if it is 1 gal an hour, I'll be seeing you guys up there in my new 24 footer.

Bob

I used to have a 40hp force pre mix with an internal 12 gal tank and I could burn 2 tanks a day fishing with that p o s now i have 115 hp 4 stroke merc opn a 18 foot walk around cuddy and burn 5 to 10 a day max. So guys unless you have owned a force outboard do not doubt what that thing can burn it was like no other motor I have ever seen.

Force is based on the old Chrysler outboards from the 1970's and 1960's which I believe was South Bend in the 50's. There was no constant upgrades like the Johnson, Evinrudes and Mercurys. My uncle had outboards from the early sixties and easily would burn 30-40 gallons on a good water ski day with it.

Ray is in the ball park-figure 1 gal per hour at troll-would not be afraid of purchasing it, just take an easy cruise in and out to the fishing grounds.

My20' thompson that I used to use ran through 10 to 12 gallons for a full day trolling. If you didn't have to run to far. That was a 305 chevy with a merc cruizer io. Going from Mex. pt to 9 mile trolling all day and back/

Yes you can mount a kicker fairly easy, so don't give up on that idea. I have a 350 but don't troll with it unless it's to hard to control the boat with the kicker, as the 9.9 gets about 3 to 4 hrs of trolling on one gallon. The 350 may use 1.5 an hr at the most but honestly I have never figured out the gph on the big one trolling.

Ray, I sent you a PM, don't want to hijack the thread.

I have a similar setup to Ray's. I won't go anywhere without an aux. motor. My buddy just had his main puke on him 5 miles out. Got back on his kicker. Took an hour, but a lot cheaper than a tow.

Ray, I sent you a PM, don't want to hijack the thread.

I have a similar setup to Ray's. I won't go anywhere without an aux. motor. My buddy just had his main puke on him 5 miles out. Got back on his kicker. Took an hour, but a lot cheaper than a tow.

PM replied & added pictures to my first post. Hope this helps.

Ray

I have a 22.5 foot Searay with a 350 EFI and i burn about 1 gph, one problem i have is if there is no wind or if i am trolling with the wind i have to use at least one bag. A kicker on your platform is an option to consider that is what I am doing. The other perk you need to look at is the extra room you will have for guests and gear with a bigger boat, plus a better ride in poor conditions. Either way you look at it you will definately save fuel compared to what you have now. Just my 2 cents.....good luck...

I have an Islander221 with the 4.3L V-6 and I go through maybe 10 gallons during an average full day of fishing. That includes running out to the fishing grounds and back in to port.

GM 305 v-8 pushing heavy 3,700 lb 1988 21' trophy loaded with 1,400 lbs gear, ice and people burns 15-20 gallons trolling 10 continuous hours. This estimate does not include time/fuel spent running. A typical full day of heavy load travel and trolling is 25-35 gallons, depending on the amount of time spent running.

A 15x15 four blade stainless prop helps out a v-8 pulling big loads and manuevering slowly while trolling. Much more control at slow speeds and a nice hole-shot and lower planing speed.

I have an Islander221 with the 4.3L V-6 and I go through maybe 10 gallons during an average full day of fishing. That includes running out to the fishing grounds and back in to port.

My wife's Jimmy had that same motor the best we could get with that was 17mpg in the suv. :@ Nice motor very dependable.

Lakebound88 (nick) also mounted an kicker to his swim platform, works great and looks awesome. we are puttin one one my boat which also has a swim platform.

I just got a penn yan 223 which has a 4.3 merc and the gas isnt bad about 15-20 gal / 10 hour troll

261.jpg

kick.jpg

Well, i troll with the big motor when it is choppy out, but i have a Yami 9.9 high thrust, and it does the job up to 2 footers. This was an easy mounting process. I use the Electronic steering, The Panter T4 remote steering...

i have a Volvo Penta aq 260 5.7 v8. It trolls nicely and will use a decent amount of fuel, however I run north on Seneca Lake everytime i fish from the south end, Averaging about 30 miles round trip each time i go out.. So i use the kicker to save me the fuel of the inbetween time... Good luck