keuka lake

Ok, so im not gonna say im any pro fisherman but i can say i am able to get a few hook ups on lakers. Sounds ok but here is my problem all im catching is lakers and i knows that there are other fish in the lake. SO i guess what im tring to figure out is what im doing wrong i would love to start getting into some rainbows and alantics and possibly browns. so the setup i been running is two downriggers i been running about 100-130 feet with about 20-30 feet spoon behind the ball in 100-150 feet of water then im running 4 dipsy settings=1.5 right, 3 right, 1.5 left, 3 left. i been running about 100-250 feet of line out(20lb mono) and the dipsy has about a 8 foot 8lb mono leader so i guess is what im saying is i dont completly know what im doing i have a eagle 350 s/map fishfinder with gps speed i been running about 1.7-1.8 mph and catching alot of lakers it seems it if i go any faster or any slower i catch nothing. i also have been using spoons and rapalas

so one tip i can say from what i know is that im using a purple-silver-pink spoon and a orange-yellow spoon i have most luck with this and i use alot of jointed shad rap rapala and jointed J-9 to j-11 rapalas and color doesnt seeem to matter they are hitting them all but i think the brown trout color works a little better

so please any help any suggestions i would appreciate much i just am fishing for fun im a die hard outdoors man

Don't take this wrong, but if you want other than lakers, go to another lake. In two years we've hooked less than five Land locks and no rainbows or browns. Yeah they are in the lake, but the lakers are over populated and eat anything that swims. Last time out we caught over 30 lakers in four hours.

Go to Cayuga, its probably the best all around lake for variety this year.

Amen to the "another lake". I have fished this lake hard for the past few years. I would love to work with the DEC to get this "Laker Mess" straightened out. I have read a few different stockings options for 2012 and only hope some change is made. The Lakers do taste great on the smoker, but a little variety would be nice.

Dave

I like a bit more green.....but other then that, everything you mentioned is all in the right area. I like a little shorter behind the ball, but all what ever you are confident in. Just keep it up and get out on the water!

Dave

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I keep a Keuka Lake fishing diary for the DEC. At the end of the year I receive stats on what every other person who keeps a Keuka Lake diary caught. The browns, rainbows, and salmon numbers in the diary are low while the lake trout numbers are high. Last time I caught a brown trout on Keuka Lake was 6/6/2006. I remember the day well, a buddy and I boated over 30 fish (lake trout, 2 brown trout and 1 perch) in 5 hours of fishing on the east side just north of the college. My brown weight 6 pounds 6 ounces and his brown was 10 pounds and a few ounces. All fish came on orange or yellow evil eyes.

I have fished keuka for trout since the early 1950's . If I had to guess I would say that I would get maybe one or two rainbows or browns in any given year.

When I did they usuall would be on my top spoon on my Seth Green rig. All of my fishing was done between Willow Grove and Hewits Point.

The few browns and rainbows I did catch where of good size.

Ken Dunbar

Hi All,

What colors and sizes (I'm thinking flukes or swim baits) are you using when jigging this time of year. What depths are the fish generally at as well. any help is greatly appreciated. I will be giving Lake trout jigging a shot around August 11th. Thanks

Usually white is all I use but guys also use the smoke colored flukes. Fish can be at many different depths. They'll generally bite better when they're suspended off the bottom and shooting around on the fish finder. You'll see your jig and fish on the fish finder if your unit is precise enough. It's really a great time getting on some active fish! Good luck!

thanks all for the info i went to seneca and hooked up with 5 LL and 1 rainbow 1 laker and mayny many hook ups so i i guess i can finally say im coffident with my setups i just need to figure out why im losing them off the hook now