Raymarine RC425 Chartplotter error code

Misty IV

This weekend, I was running without my Raymarine RC425 GPS Chartplotter because of an error code. It worked fine 3 weeks ago, but when I powered it on this weekend, it froze-up and gave me the following information on the screen:

* CODE = 00008001 *

* ADDR = C0013F54 *

<>

PRESS [POWER] TO TURN OFF

I tried turning it off and on a few times, even disconnected the plugs and reattached them with no change. I did a quick search on Gooogle, but not coming up with any definite answers. Power and grounds are fine. All connections tight. Can anyone shed some light on this before I call Raymarine direct? Thanks!

The other thing it started doing early in the season is it would connect to the satellites and give me correct coordinates, but the map would put me over Africa and not over Lake Ontario. I would have to physically scroll up and over to Lake Ontario and when I got to where I should be, the icon of the boat was there over the open water. The unit does have the Navionics card for Lake Ontario in it. Looks like I'm making a call to Raymarine.

I called Raymarine tech support and they offered me the following suggestion. Hold in the "Clear" button while I push the "Power" button. Release both buttons when the unit turns on. When it comes to the start-up screen, press the "Enter" key twice and he said that should correct the issue. It will erase all my waypoints, as this is the Master Reset function, but I should be good to go. Going to try it this weekend and see if it rectifies the issue.

Now with further description of the symptoms you are seeing, your internal battery is shot. These units eat them up within 3 years time. I had the exact symptoms you are seeing last summer and I sent it in. Good luck, because it took me 6 weeks of constant calling to get it back and the flat rate of at least $150 to replace it.

And, of course, the battery cannot be replaced without sending it to Raymarine. How convenient. Oh well, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and send it in to them. Hope they can turn it around fairly quickly. Pain not having waypoint capabilities to return to my "hot spots". Thanks for all the replies and help!

I have to think that they all have an internal battery. How do the way points get saved when you take it off the boat in the winter. Actually I think you can change it yourself but it voids any warranty you might have. Prolly any geek could change it.

RR

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling some of the frustration others have expressed regarding Raymarine's tech service. I just called them to see what the status of my unit is. The tech advised me they received it on 8/1/11. It is scheduled to be bench tested sometime this week and the tech who works on it will call me to let me know what it will cost. Um, I already was told what is wrong with it back on 7/27 and what it will cost when I called them. Sounds like I will be lucky if I have the unit back by the time I put the boat away for the winter at this rate... :@

• 6 months later...

Just following up with my experience. After countless weeks of calling them and being promised they would get right on it, talking to the shift supervisor and some "higher-ups" there, I finally got the unit returned to me in early November. Paid to have the internal battery replaced at a cost of $159.....only for the unit to NOT be repaired. It is still doing the exact same thing as before. After a weeks worth of calls to their tech support line, I was told I need to send it back and have it looked at again. I inquired about the $159 I already paid and if any additional fees would be incurred for them to "look at it". Their response was that "they wouldn't know until they bench tested it and diagnosed the problem". They said it could be the Navionics card, the antenna, any number of things. An antenna is around $300, a new card is $200. It's almost worth replacing it with a new unit. So, the unit is sitting in my basement with the rest of my gear, waiting for the 2012 season to start. I've heard Raymarine's service is hit-n-miss. Has anyone else had it this bad before?