Hot Lure: stingers nbks

Trolling Speed: 2.4 -3.1sog

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth:81 and 115

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

well,considering the blow (winds ) that went all weekend it still turned out to be an o.k weekend.more browns were to be had and it seems as though the browns just keep on getting bigger each wk.at least they were bigger than in the earlier part of the season when they were coming off the big boards.

set up in 140 ft of water and headed south aiming for the cooling towers.as always i set up a3 rigger spread and also put the dipsy out to play on the port side.started putting out the third rigger when the starboard rigger fired resulting in a nice 7 lb laker.

released that fish and reset the rigger a nd i was finally able to put the wire dipsy down.

loaded it up with a green blue asnd silver spin dr. and a chewed up white atomik ts fly.set it back on a2 1/2 setting 250 ft back.set it in the rod holder.took over driving duties so that wifey coul;d take a nap.

well,that nap was a short one as about seven short minutes after i took the wheel

the wire rig started screaming bloody murder taking the line counter from the 250 ft that it was recently at to 440 ft in a matter of about 12 seconds.

about 12 minutes later i was finally able to get the monster to within 65 ft of the end of the rod when she decided to do some massive head thrashing and broke loose,resulting in heart break,exhaustion and a tiny chunk of a salmons mouth on a rather empty atomik fly.

oh well,thats how it goes sometimes.

any ways the rest of the day and weekend was productive with more fish caught,sunrays and asuprise visit from my son.

stingers in dolphins colors ,nbks ,and green spinnies crazy **** atomik flies and a wolverine blue chilly willy spoon(an ol fav of mine)all did their duty for me.140 fow lucky depths were 81 and 115 and i also took a nice brown up high in 56 fow.

taking this next wkend off to enjoy the harbor fest with wife and kids and friends.

have a good week!

mike m ;)

7_16_17_2011_henderson_harbor_area_fish_004.jpg

7_16_17_2011_henderson_harbor_area_fish_005.jpg

I went out solo this morning....ran up the trench and set up by the lighthouse. Trolled around a bit but never got a. Bite. Just ran spoons off the riggers...a little snotty in a small boat running solo, but I gave it a shot! Nice area...hope to get back within a month.

Thanks for the reports!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thanks for the kind words,folks.

i have a feeling the fishing in the HH area is only going to get better.the bait is showing up in very large pods and hopefully will still be here when the staging season begins,it wont be long.it has never been this good this early even though we do have s few slow days. nbks and stingers are on,but i also recently got a tip from a friend who was on the saiffoutdoors network and said they have been whacking them hard with a white 8in.e-chip protroll 2ft.floro leader and a white/silver or just silver spoon trailing it.hmmmm!

good luck this summer!!

rod keep me posted as to when u will be back up next monthl loc derby will be starting up and perhaps we can trade some tips or something,meet up!

mike m

p.s

my son became a diehard eagles fan a few years back....i disowned him :rofl: jk!!

I fished the haystack 7/30 7/31. Saturday we did 9 of 11 on laker's a Skippy and 1 mature king in the 25lb. range. 100 t0 120 down over 140 . 280 to 320 dipsy on two settings were also very active. nbk 28 behind chrome dodger worked well and white spin doctor with green white fly also worked well. Sunday was somewhat slower. we ended up with 6 laker's and had the biggest runoff of the season on what had to have been a huge king. the first run smoked the drag on our junk cabellas reel and when the fish made its second run the drag jammed resulting in the loss of a $42.00 dipsy fly and flasher. :devil: preety stout wind and chop but a fun weekend. back up on 8/19

chris

Chris,nice report. bummer on the bad luck with the reels,but nice to hear that some of the big boys are showng up in the area.

how long of aleader are u using between the dodger and spoon?...thanks.

great job!!!

mike m

We fished the trench on the 24th, 25th, and 29th. On the 24th we got 3 of 4 lakers, decent size, 1 on dipsy. 2 hit a white fly behind a greeh/blue dodger, 140fow at 90 ft. We were beginners so were stoked with our fish. Hoping to hit some salmon in 2 weeks when I go back and would welcome any advice.. Thanks for the Henderson posts!

hello jeffinsackets. if you are a freshman in the trench i'm only a couple of years senior however there are plenty of things i have learned over the last couple of years and this website is a priceless place to get info from many wonderful fisherman. I will be fishing the 13th 14th 20th 21st and 30th through sept 5th. Id like to keep this thread going and i will continue to post my results. towards the second half of august post will become scarce as many of us compete in the loc derby however you can feel free to pm me and i will compare notes if it will help. my friends and i fish in a 23' seaswirl striper with a pirate flag on the vhf antenna and we will answer to the boat name salmon pirate on ch 18 or 19 . The same welcome extends to all on this post. :beer:

good luck

chris

chris have taken notice of your posted dates and will also keep this thread going and i will try to be helpful in any way to all.

jeff,fish outside the pack and be careful if you run a wire in the trench,may only wanna run one wire and only if there is no one trailing you for a long ways.

it can get very congested in the trench and some people will have no mercy with your lines.

a good spot to try is just off the pill boxes in the 120+fow area.run some meat if you have it. they preferr it in the very early am..along with a white 8 in e-chip and white fly

good luck...keep us posted.

mike m

Anyone go out 8/6? Its killing me that I didn't make the 5 hr drive to fish yesterday, but timing just didn't work. Maybe this coming weekend though. Thanks a bunch for the tips guys, I will stop by Fat Nancy's next trip and pick up a meat rig. Where are the pill boxes? Good luck.

the pill boxes are land marks i use often.they are square concrete boxes on the shoreline between the high rocks and the light house.they were used i believe to store and protect artillary used during the war of 1812. out in front of them in the 120 -130fow area is often hot.

Hi guys, Im pretty new to the forum and have been reading your posts. Good info. I am new to the trolling game as well. I have been out once a few weeks ago off of Galloo Island and we got a decent Coho on a dipsy with a spoon. Water was pretty ruff so we only fished an hour, but we were happy, first salmon on our own. We are out of Cape Vincent so HH area is about as far as we go. Im trying to learn the language as i read along. Can someone tell me where the haystack and finger is, and the trench is the shipping channel correct? We will be going out a few times over the next few weeks. Any other descriptions of locations to try in that area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the great info and good luck out there.

Fished out of Henderson today and had a tough morning.Ended up with a couple lakers and a skippy. Fished the wall, and the trench where we caught the lakkers and in to 45 fow off Stony Point. Not much on the screen but did hit a couple fish in shallow. Nothing like a week ago.

hi seans45

welcome aboard. If you are sailing from cape Vincent the closest area you will encounter salmon lakers and other tasty species in the trout family would be in the shipping lanes. if you put the back of your boat in line with the southern tip of big galoo shoal and the front in line with main duck island sail until you see the dropoff were it goes from 80' to 140' sharply. that is the edge of the shipping lane. troll along that wall in a southwest direction and you should pick up plenty of lakers close to bottom and some salmon. Beware though the bottom comes up quick and there are some wicked currents in that area. the trench lies between the Henderson high rocks and stoney island and in length between the Henderson cut and beyond the lighthouse. The deep water comes in pretty close to the high rock side of the trench. If you head in the direction of the power plant visible to the south you will find a finger or square haystack looking structure on a topo map. that area has been the best for me this year but its a pretty long distance from cape Vincent. Surprisingly the trench has been pretty productive early this year and will only improve in the late sumer early fall. there will be a crowd usually however if you are a beginner if is a good place to follow others and match direction and speed. if you have more questions let them fly on this post and there is many wonderful sportsman who will help you out

best of luck

chris

hi jeffinsackets

If you are going to fat nancys here is what worked for us on kings. dreamweaver spin doctor white with black spots with atomik live series fly in green variations behind it. on a mag dipsy with 2 setting let it back 280 to 340 in the deep water. on a rigger go down 80-110

best of luck ill be there 0n 8/6 weather permitting

chris

hmm,sounds like things are a lil slow in HH....may have to hit the dimple for some hog smallmouth bass.

the Haystack rocks if you are there at the right times with the right conditions.

i can usually hook up real well with some Kings running a wire dipsey and mt.dew with crazy beeeeotch fly no.2 setting 300 ft out on the wire,mag ring...btw!

keep on posting!

mike m ;)

I am also new to the HH area and will update on this string as well. We have had good luck on lakers and browns so far this year, but have not hooked up on any big kings yet. The trench runs between the high rocks and stony island. The finger runs off of the tip of stony island and shows up as a hump between the trench and the open lake. The fish seem to stack up on the lake side most of the summer. I am not sure what is refered to as the hay stack. Good luck to all.

Matt K on the Horst Play

we fished the shipping lanes Saturday am. in an attempt to be on the wind blocking side of big galoo. nothing doing out there. saturday evening the lake was much calmer so we headed for the haystack and fished over 130-140 fow. took two lakers one at 5# and a nice 12#er. had 4 teenage king runoffs on #2 setting 280-350 dipsys but finished 0-4 with more equipment failures :devil: . everything on white spin dr fly combo. ended the evening short limping back to port with a fouled plug. Sunday was the fix everything day and we stopped at fat nancys on the way home to pick up two convectors loaded with wire for next week. we will be there again this saturday

considering the wkend i had last weekend AND not seeing a net move on any other boat out there.....i would say your guess is as good as anyone elses.

if it was me ...very early A.M. start out off whaleys(spelled wrong)110 fow and head south into 127 fow have at least one rigger dragging on the bottom looking for pink bellies.(may pick up a laker in the process)

head towards the light house and watch your graph.

ps.

pray that some bait has returned to the area,or its going to be a long /slow staging season!

mike m