The Basics??

I typically dont watch this part of the site much. I'm still learning on trout and salmon. After talking with a guy at work who catches musky in the river my curiosity has got the best of me. I need to try musky. I live literally 4 min from waneta lake and my boat is setup for trolling. I'm looking for the basic info to help me catch AND release my first Musky. Could be the start of a beautiful relationship. :$

Boat depth? lure depth? leader length? Presentation? lure styles ? common colors? area of the lake? Line type? HOW TO HANDLE AND RELEASE?

Any part of the puzzle would help. Thank you in advance. Maybe I could catch a ride with someone? :beer:

ive never fished that lake before and am still pretty new to muskie fishing in general so youll have to wait to see if zach (he makes a real nice shad bodied musky bait which a lot of people use down there) or nitro chime in with some pointers for you...i know they and a lot of other guys mentioned before they dont go as much there this time of the summer especially since the surface temps are so high (cross and conesus were low-mid 80s so im assuming waneta is right around there too) which can be fatally stressful on the fish. But night fishing might be the way to go there right now especially since its been so hot all summer

but as far as C and R gear and trolling setups you can find a lot of articles and videos on thenextbite.com. a nice big game net-something that wont rub all their slime off, and a good pair of bolt cutters. Most of the guys on here use the same rods you probably do for salmon and trout fishing when they are trolling-something along the lines of a MH/H action 8-10'6 ft dipsey diver rod with either 25-40lbs mono or 65-100lbs super braid and a nice 3-5ft 80-130lbs fluorocarbon leader with heavy duty stay lock snaps.

you can shorten the learning curve by hiring a reputable guide and asking him questions all day. It will actually save you money in the long run by not buying the wrong tackle and spending hours guessing about fish location. Most of all you will see first hand how to handle these fish. Your release tools must include a very large net designed for muskies, a pair or two of high quality hook cutters , several pairs of pliers, some of them extremely long nose, fish gloves like Lindy makes will cut down on chance of burying a hook in your flesh, gloves for picking up a musky also are handy (musky armour makes a nice pair) . Fishing with someone who has experience will lessen the chances of inadvertantly killing fish.

Online you can go to Muskies First and Musky Hunter forums as well as Captain Larry Jones' forum for Muskies and learn a lot. But most of all try to hook up with someone experienced to show you the ropes. They can save you a bunch of time, money and frustration by using the right equipment right from the beginning. If you are out there with a spinning combo and 10lb test you may catch a musky....but you'll probably kill it from fighting it too long. Terminal Tackle like stealth leaders and stringease snaps, bucher or wolverine split rings are specifically designed for musky fishing. A 50 inch fish will test all your equipment to the max. I had a Ram Rod holder ripped off my boat by a musky hit while trolling. Twisted the ball right off. Now I have downeast holders bolted through and welded. It's a lot of fun and not as difficult as it seems once you have the right equipment and mindset. Good Luck,

Forgot too add...joining a muskie club or getting into Tournies like Captain Larry runs would shorten the curve more than anything.They would answer all your questions...show you their equipment and help you with locations, trolling speed, depth and seasonal patterns.

Like Ronix said the temps are really high on Waneta and most people have been laying off it. Trolling speeds will usually be faster than the trout/salmon speeds but it changes. Anywhere from 3.5-5.5mph in general but you have to experiment. You can also cast the lake and some people I know do well casting it. I won't give locations but there are fish just about everywhere in that lake. If your not getting them trolling try casting the weeds, its a small lake they have to be somewhere. As for equipment. Get some quality leaders, heavy line, sharp hooks and lots of determination. Some guys get lucky but for the rest of us we have work hard to get them but that's what makes them so rewarding. When you go there you'll see people fishing muskies and pay attention to what you see. I honestly think the easiest way to catch a musky on Waneta is to go bass fishing, lol. You may laugh but lots get caught that way. As for baits that you can easily access and don't cost a ton of money- check out the biggest Rapala's they sell in your area. Best luck and sorry I can't give you exact locations and techniques but lots has been discussed about this lake in the past and guess what- more fisherman than ever now fish that lake. This year I have stayed very, very quiet about it and will continue to do so in the future. The lake gets HAMMERED all summer and its only an 800 acre lake! One thing I can say is, I do better on orange colors on this lake than any other I fish. Best luck! "Dirtbag Zach"

Get to learn release technics first-this is the most important step-handling your fish.I use 7` one piece med/hvy uglystik with cabelas depthmaster gold line counter reels.#80 suffix and #80 cortland master braid.2 reels are spooled with #30 cortland endurance mono.Leaders...#80 flouro and i also run #100 36"titanium leaders.Your more than welcome to tag along on a trip or two when i come down once these water temps drop a bit.Let me know-most of the time i`m running solo.

sol

Just about all of us use 80lb braid and 80lb or 100lb flouro leaders. If you get a chance to fish with Solgrande you would learn a lot. Sol is a good fisherman and can show you the right way. Best luck bud!

• 2 weeks later...

i swore off this lake cause it's too small and too crowded. having said that if you' er after your first go out the canal to 7 fow and throw whatever as you work to your left in 7 to 10 fow. sooner or later you will score. it will be 35 to 38 inches long unless your name is zach.