Speed and Temp Sensor

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet in the next couple weeks and get a unit that gives me speed and temp at the ball. I know there are alot of options but would like to here from the guys that have put the different units through there paces. Which one would you recommend?

I've had a subtroll 900 for 8 year or better , the probe went so do I fix it or...............I bought a X4 asked for some help on here for install .....got enough..... put it on and so far so good !!!!......sub troll was good to me .......the coated cable got to be a pain....... the X4 will run on any cable and pick your rigger......I picked the one closest to the transducer.....

Hal

I have both the Fishawk and a Depth Raider. If you can afford the cost difference the X4 is the way to go but they both work well. I noticed a great deal on th DR at Marine General so...

I'd get a depth raider if $ is tighter/X-4 if not (got both in separate boats; pros & cons to each) I'm gonna copy a reply to a similar post that I made last week w/ a couple add ons cuz I think it would be useful for guys looking a getting their first speed & temp unit.

Speed & temp units are great but let's all remember that we are not fundamentally looking for the 'right temp' or the 'right speed' but rather we are looking to hook up fish. A couple examples will help clarify what I'm saying:

On Tues 7/19 we took Kings,cohos, and browns in 60-65 degree water. All these fish were out of temp except maybe the browns and the Kings were mature adults 27-30lbs. Marked very, very few fish that day so I fished the bait and once the pattern was established we just worked the water where the fish were coming from using down speed to help us fish both East & West trolls w/ current at the same productive speed at the ball.

On Sunday 7/24 we caught big lakers & salmon on Cayuga down in cold water (43-47) down 90'+ over 300-400FOW. On this outing we did use the temp side of the equation as well as down speed once we had the pattern established.

I like to get as much info about my fishing grounds as possible (down temp, structure, water clarity etc) but the most important thing to find out is where the 'active'fish are and what down speed is gonna get em to go. Here's my advice for what it's worth ,which is probably not a lot, but anyway;

1.)Get some down temp & down speed technology & play around with it and learn the basic temp parameters for the fish you are chasing.

2.)When you start fishing just get the probe rigger down, raise & lower your probe rigger while you're looking at the sonar screen and see if you can establish ;a.) do you have fish and or bait on the sonar. b.) do you have temps that fish like if you don't have bait and or fish.

3.) If you have bait & fish prioritize your spread towards that zone & don't focus too hard on the temp (speed is probably gonna be more important) but keep a line or so above and below where you are marking fish too (remember you haven't gotten any yet so you really don't know where the 'active' fish are!)

4.) Stay at an avg speed (2.0-2.5 surface or so) & do a zig zag troll and see if you can get the fish to go. A zig zag tells you a lot cuz outside lines are relatively faster & inside lines are relatively slower.Change speed up and then down if you still can't get em to go and then start changing colors,etc.

In summary: A speed n' temp(snt) unit can be a fun toy but finding the actual pattern that catches fish is obviously the real goal. The snt is just another tool.

I'm with Chowder on this. While this is my first year with the x4, I have a few observations after several trips to the O. The temp probe is interesting, but I can't tell you how many times we've caught fish out of "the zone". Many times we'll take nice fish in 10+ degree cooler water than they're supposed to be. More critical seems to be speed. There are some serious currents in the O and I can see a lure limply dragging along or spinning out of control if you don't know the down speed. It appears there is some value in finding the "edge" of these currents also. Observing the blowback of the downrigger line can get you close, but its not a substitue for the down speed. Its a tool that helps, but it isn't perfect and shouldn't be applied blindly.

Hal,

All I will add is the coated cable (in my opinion) is a pain. I've had the depth raider for 1.5 seasons and am on my 3rd cable. All of the issues with the cable have been our fault (crossed riggers once, left a fixed cheater on once while raising rigger), BUT if you fish much, you will more than likely have OOPS moments too and the coated cables run about $40 to replace.

All units will do the job and if you search this site you'll see alot of guys love to argue their point on units, but if I could do over I'd go X4. PM me if you're interested in a used depth raider, mine could be for sale.

Jeff

Jeff, what on earth are you doing wrong to chew up your cable like that. I just replaced my original DR coated cable this spring after 6 seasons on the original one.

I'm sure the X4 is an ok unit, but I'll never own one. My reasons, right or wrong, are well documented in these forums, and besides, I love my DR, far superior to the old FH 840 it replaced.

Tim

I have Subtroll, I'm happy with it I guess, I had a couple issues with the cable but they were both my fault and it was when I was first getting dialed in and now I'm good and dont forsee any issues. I threatened to sell it and go with an X4 but I have a 50+ mph boat and I don't have a transducer hanging off my boat now and don't want one so I'm sticking with it. I really like the fact that replacement probes are 179 and I can get parts right in Buffalo as well, my buddy has gone there direct and that's a big plus IMO.

Tim,

I really don't know why we have so much trouble with the coated cable but we do. Maybe we aren't careful enough or get overly excited when fighting a king. Either way we have alot of problems with the cable and my unit will only pick up signal to about 45ft when the cable is exposed. (which has left us without signal roughly 50 to 60% of our fishing time last year :devil:)

Again the issues we had with the cable were our fault. BUT if we didn't need the coated cable we would have had a working probe the whole time we were fishing.

Just trying to let Hal know the coated cable is an issue for us.