Why Not Share Your Catch Weight With Everyone?

I was on the lake the other day fishing in a local tournament. We had the VHF radio on the channel that all the fisher's were on. I couldn't help but notice there were a group of guys talking about all these fish they were catching for the tourney but they never said how much they weighed. One guy told his friend to call him on his cellphone to hear the weight......seriously dude?...

I don't know if anyone here does the same thing...but why not let everyone know the weight of the fish you caught especially in a tournament....that way...say if you catch a 20lb salmon....if i catch a 18 lb salmon...i can put it back in the lake instead of letting it die for no reason.

It may sound like I'm ****ing, but I just don't see the point in "hiding" things like this from other people in tournaments that only require you to keep 1 fish.

How many fish that are dead already and were meant to go to the weigh in do you think will be thrown back in the water because the fishermen think that they must catch a bigger one?

You answered your own question howitzer.

To announce your weight over the radio, lets the other guys know what they need to beat you.

Not a very smart strategy as most guys enter a tournament to try and win it.

Glen

Seriously Glen, what does that matter? you still gotta catch the fish.

Knowing what you have to beat doesn't change that one bit. How is that any different than the LOC updating the leaderboard as soon as the get the info?

We run our LOTSA tournament exactly that way so as to minimize the number of fish killed. Fish have to be called in with the length and approximate weight as soon as possible after it is caught. That way, if you catch an 18 lber and you already know that there are 2 27's a 25 and a 24 reported in, you can release it if you want. Why kill a fish that has no chance of placing just to have something to weigh in.

Tim

Knowing what you have to beat doesn't change that one bit. How is that any different than the LOC updating the leaderboard as soon as the get the info?

We run our LOTSA tournament exactly that way so as to minimize the number of fish killed. Fish have to be called in with the length and approximate weight as soon as possible after it is caught. That way, if you catch an 18 lber and you already know that there are 2 27's a 25 and a 24 reported in, you can release it if you want. Why kill a fish that has no chance of placing just to have something to weigh in.

Tim

Well seriously Tim are you kidding?

Last year at Oswego we moved from the lower middle of the pack to take a second place in the proam just 6 points out of first because most everybody was Brown trout fishing and on day two I knew I had to find Salmpon to win it. We did and just missed the win. Had I not known where we stood in the standings I would have continued to fish Browns as they where plentiful and had to rely on luck to do well.

Somebody else would have been cashing the check.

Sounds like you are talking about a one big fish derby. Completlely different ball game. No strategy just luck.

Don't play the dead fish thing with me.

I kill fish every weekend (or try to) as people do actually eat them.

Can't tell you how many "estimated" 25+ lb Salmon I've heard about on the radio during the spring LOC that didn't make the 20 lb limit once it was hung on the scale.

As far as my post goes, a guy asked a question....I answered it.

Good fishing.

Glen

Tim

Well seriously Tim are you kidding?

Last year at Oswego we moved from the lower middle of the pack to take a second place in the proam just 6 points out of first because most everybody was Brown trout fishing and on day two I knew I had to find Salmpon to win it. We did and just missed the win. Had I not known where we stood in the standings I would have continued to fish Browns as they where plentiful and had to rely on luck to do well.

Somebody else would have been cashing the check.

Sounds like you are talking about a one big fish derby. Completlely different ball game. No strategy just luck.

Don't play the dead fish thing with me.

I kill fish every weekend (or try to) as people do actually eat them.

Can't tell you how many "estimated" 25+ lb Salmon I've heard about on the radio during the spring LOC that didn't make the 20 lb limit once it was hung on the scale.

As far as my post goes, a guy asked a question....I answered it.

Good fishing.

Glen

Sorry Glen I assumed Howitzer was talking about the GOSD up on the north shore which is a single big fish deal like the LOC, not a tournament like the pro am. I agree, only a fool dishes any info in that setting and fully support the push for closed communication in those events.

We kill our share of fish as well as WE like to eat them, and have absolutely no problem with people keeping up to their limit. The point about our club tournament is that as one of LOTSA's main deals is to promote catch and release, we try to kill as few fish needlessly as possible just for a weigh in for the club tournament. We require any fish to be considered for the tournament to be called on the radio to the tournament control boats on channel 10 with with both a length and approx weight (on a boat scale, not eyeballed weight) and the fish brought to the weigh in has to be within 3" of the called in length, just to avoid people boxing a fish they might otherwise have released just to bring to the weigh in when that fish has no chance of placing.

Sounds like we are actually in agreement, just talking about different formats.

Peace,

Tim

Hi:

I agree with you philosophy. It is the whole basis as to why we at PEDD have a live leader board. You can go on line or cal the weigh staations and se the bigggest fish so far any given day. Why kill fish you don't have to.

Dr. Bob

What you hear on the radio & what is official may be different things:

say if you catch a 20lb salmon....

Devil's advocate:

1. Would you believe him? Some boat scales don't agree with the official weigh-in scale.

2. Some contests require a 20 Lb Salmon in order to enter them anyway. If you release him, how much longer do you expect he's going to live?

3. There's always 2nd, 3rd, 4th....place. Sometimes there's quite a difference between 1st & 10th.

4. How'd you feel if that "20 lb'r" was DQ'd at weigh-in?

5. What if that was a Brown trout that he caught & not an Atlantic like he thought?

Tom B.

(LongLine)