2" vs. 4" vanes

Hi all,

i shoot a G5 Quest QS33 and have been shooting Gold Tip XT hunters with 4" vanes along with Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads. I have been happy with that setup - have killed my first 4 deer with bow with that setup. The only reason i'm considering switching to 2" vanes is that i frequently see the 2 inchers on sale for $25 for 6 vs the $45 for 6 4"vanes.

I have heard that the 2" vanes are better for fixed blade broadheads.

Is there any reason i should not get the 2inchers with what i shoot?

thanks for your input,

andre

I fletch my own and use 2" with a helical. This is meant to stabalize fixed blade heads at high speeds. I shoot muzzy-x4 out of a Diamond iceman at 70lbs. Each setup is different your best bet is to get some and try it. If price is the only reason I wouldn't change. I'll pay a little extra to have confidence in my equipment. Then again my wife shoots the same vanes straight with muzzy 4's with great results at 30yds and less pulling 50 lbs. Little differences don't mean much at close distance, so if your long shots are 25yds youll be good with either setup. I killed a doe at 45 yards last year and practice to 80 with field tips. good luck let us know how it turns out.

dre,

I have found the vane size correlates with your rest type. I shoot 2 inch vanes and G5's in 100 grain fixed... very stable off the rest.

I like the wisker bisket rest, i get alot of straight down shots hunting at 23 feet.

The longer vanes were snapping arrows left and right.

I am not a long range shooter by any means, this set up works perfect when they are right under the tree !! :yes:

• 2 months later...

I shoot 4" helical vanes on 33" Easton 2512 Ultra-Lites/125 grain Rage's, from an Octane 3-legged rest, at 65 lbs, from my old trusty Oneida Eagle Aero-Force 80.

Has a distinct "thump" when they hit. :)

I run 1 pin set for 30 yds.

Yeah, I know it's old school, but it works for me.

I don't try acobatic shots, but inside 35 yds, they seem to die.

Just got back in, from attending to our stands.

More scapes since last weekend.

Cameras are showing a couple good-uns, and have several pics of 1, feeding with the does in a secluded bean field, where we have had a productive stand for several seasons now.

1 of our wooden blinds has a pile of wasps in it,(not the first time) and brought spray to rid it of them, but with the warm temps, there wasn't any way of doing that. :no:

Once it cools off, we'll get rid of them.

I shoot 4" helical vanes on 33" Easton 2512 Ultra-Lites/125 grain Rage's, from an Octane 3-legged rest, at 65 lbs, from my old trusty Oneida Eagle Aero-Force 80.

Has a distinct "thump" when they hit. :)

I run 1 pin set for 30 yds.

Yeah, I know it's old school, but it works for me.

I don't try acobatic shots, but inside 35 yds, they seem to die.

Just got back in, from attending to our stands.

More scapes since last weekend.

Cameras are showing a couple good-uns, and have several pics of 1, feeding with the does/fawns in a secluded bean field, where we have had a productive stand for several seasons now.

1 of our wooden blinds has a pile of wasps in it,(not the first time) and brought spray to rid it of them, but with the warm temps, there wasn't any way of doing that. :no:

Once it cools off, we'll get rid of them.

I understand that the 2" are better when using a whisker biscuit type rest, providing less resistance. I use a drop away rest and have used helical 4" feathers, helical 4" vinyl, straight 4" vinyl & straight 2" blazers. I wouldn't mix and match across groups but all are pretty consistant within each group. You can always buy what's on sale and easily refletch to your preference.

Just switched to 2" Blazers after over 20 years of 4" vanes and have to say this ... I really don't see any major difference. That being said I shoot a Mathews @ 70 Lbs. with 3 blade Rage. Very stable flight and have pushed them out to 50 yards with consistent groups. Come on Sat. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Those Rage heads do a number on 'em.

BTW, a neighbor, Sunday, shot a 226 lb, dressed, 13 pt, that green scored 153 3/8.

6" bases, with split brows.

G2's and 3's are about 12".

Ear's look like a donkey.

I imagine he'll have that mounted. :rofl::rofl:

That deer was never seen, on the farm he hunts, although the sheds were found last year.

• 2 months later...

A correctly set up MODERN compound should shoot a bare shaft straight every time. Vains, feathers, size, material makes little to no difference. As long as you do the same thing(exactly), every time you'll hit the same spot every time.

• 3 weeks later...