Whew! Real close call at the Oak

I nearly bought the farm today...... I was trolling at Oak Orchard straight out around 4 PM by myself in my 16 foot Sylvan. I had 2 lines out and was trolling with my 5 HP Honda kicker. There were 2 or 3 boats way out but almost no boats nearby. I see this boat come out of the harbor and head straight for me from a distance. Im trolling west. The boat gets closer and closer and Im thinking it's a long way off still, he'll see me. He keeps coming at full speed. The boat is maybe a 21-25 foot cuddy. OK still plenty of time to turn off. He keeps coming. Now I'm starting to get nervous a little, he's coming at full speed and maybe 50 yards away. I stand up and start waving for him to see me but he keeps coming. Sh&* this jerk is not stopping hes heading right at me broadside 25 yards away. I open up the 5 horse but that can only go so fast, I had my 30 HP up out of the water, no time for that. I thought I was a goner, I really did. I considered jumping overboard before he hit me. I didnt know what to do. Now hes 10 yards away and still at full speed. the kicker is wide open trying to get out of his path. I'm a goner..Now I know why I go to church every sunday...at the last possible minute with me waving and yelling this a^&hole turns away behind me so close his wake came over my downrigger rod maybe 10 feet away at full steam. He passes me and Im shaking like a leaf throwing him the bird, etc. This jerk keeps going way out almost out of sight and it's too rough for me to follow him in this boat.

If anyone knows of a 21-25 foot fishing boat white with I think a maroon or red trim/bottom that was fishing at the Oak that came out around 4 PM on 7/28/11 Thurs., please PM me as the Orleans County Sheriff and Coast Guard would like to have a little chat with him. There was the driver and 1 other person in the back. My day was over at that point and now I remember how little concern/respect/caring some of the big boats have here for the smaller boats, huge wakes and incidents like this. The Sheriff said the marine patrol had just ended their shift at 4 PM so whoever this SOB is.... is real lucky. Keep a watchful eye and be safe. Any help appreciated. Thanks BP

Glad you made it out of that situation safely. 99% of the boaters watch where their going however some bigger boats can't see (or won't look) over their bows. I've found that if you get your camera out & flash them a couple times when they're a couple 100 yds off, they sometimes will notice it out of the corner of their eyes.

I hope someone finds him.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

How many feet of water were you in when this happened? We were already set up and trolling at 3:30 this afternoon at about 140 feet of water. I do remember seeing a boat running due north at about that time, but I'm not sure who it was. I'm glad you are ok.

YIKES! I left the dock with my PM trip at 3:15 but I didn't see anyone else running at that time. I set up in 150 straight north of the wall and trolled north. I saw several Gradys and a Bayliner or two but nothing matching your description. I'm fishing doubles the next several days and will keep an eye out for this clown. Glad you're ok.

Paul

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Man BP, that has to be a sickening feeling. Glad you are still with us. It brings to mind a friday last week as I was coming in from offshore at dark. I was traveling along at about 20 mph cause I had a long way to go to the Oak. It was Clear and calm and the ride was easy. I stood outside the console and peered out across the shimmering water looking for any vessels that might be out there somewhere of course with THEIR light on continuously. I was thinking that the smooth lake would entice small boats out there and being a friday the possibility of coming up on a small boat was very real.

well I did pass one that was in about 200 feet of water, no continuous light on but was smart enough to bring a flashlight and blink it at me several times as I was passing. Ok so that got my attention and knew he was there but at the last minute. So now I wonder ...is that a distress signal, maybe I should go see or stop and check it with my spotlight. I stopped the engine listened and put 3million candlepower out there but could only see mist off the water, didn't hear anything so went on.

Motored up to just on plane and kept it there for the next couple miles when I encounter another small vessel out of port about in 80 feet of water. Again no continuous light and the flashlight showing me his position. Two boats without any continuous lighting and I would say have to be powered, are out there with no all around white light, just a flashlight.

I may be wrong but I believe law requires a continuous all around white light to be on when powered or anchored away from dock. Only UN-powered vessels under a length of 23 feet, may have a flashlight to be turned on and warn an approaching boat.....anybody out on the water after nitefall should have an all around white light on at all times and a flashlight to be a secondary means of attention getter in my opinion.

Mark

also glad you are okay. skipper19, in mex. bay small boats with no lights are an everyday occurance in front of the little salmon. bass and walleye guys and rarely any lights,they scare the fish i am told.i came in a few years back with my old 24 ft carver in three ft rollers,wove around every one i saw and came way to close to an anchored bass boat,maybe 50 ft .never saw him untill he was amidships and we were both in the trough.no light.most of themuse bic lighters.

I talked about this with most of the captains here today and we feel if you could come up with a better description of the boat like make, inboard or I/O, hard top or soft top etc. We might be able to help find the culprit. Try to remember more and help us help you.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

I'm glad your ok....i just got done reading an article about a 2 boat collision on the Navesink river in N.J. last saturday night.....a Stingray boat ,with 2 occupants was stopped on the river, along comes a 20 ft Boston Whaler with 5 occupants running at a high speed, and just crashed into the stingray. All 5 on the whaler were ejected, but were able to re-board before drowning. One of the 2 on the stingray was hit by the whaler and thrown into the water. Cause of death was blunt trauma and drowning,his body was found the next morning. The guy running the whaler had been drinking according to reports. You really have got to keep your eyes open out there. I think ,as someone suggested, keeping a flare gun and air horn real handy, might be a good idea....again, i'm sure glad they didn't ram you....good luck and stay safe...choo-choo steve

Thanks guys for the support. I keep having flashbacks about this but it was happening so fast and I was so rattled Im afraid I screwed up not getting a better description. I remember the passenger was looking out the back and I think the inside of the boat was all white (no carpet). He looked surprised when he saw me and was pointing at me as he yelled to his driver friend as they passed. The boat was 21-25 foot I think closer to 25 ish and I remember seeing a white boat with maroon but honestly dont know if it was the top, the trim, or the bottom. White and maroon, 25 foot + or -, white interior without carpet. Thats about all I can remember, had too much to worry about at the time like trying to get his attention and then getting out of the way. Im lucky to be here.