Night Time fishing

First I want to thank all who teach us newbies with info about fishing Seneca Lake. I am a Kayak fisherman who is new to fishing pulling lead core and dipsy's. I primarily flyfish but have switched over to trolling and jigging due to warmer temps and depth of the fish. My yak is equipted with ff and gps. My question is is whether any of you fish the night time and how succesful have you been. Most of the sucessful fishing in the saltwater I do is at night. i fish out of Starkey Point area. i have fished with my neighbor's but they use seth green rigs and are daytime fisherman.

Thanks,

Fred

If your fishing out of a state park that is "day use only" like Lodi Point call Samson state park office and tell them your plan. The one time I did a late trip I had a ticket on my truck when I came back in even thro I have a empirepass !!!!

In the mid 1950s, night fishing was a standard method of fishing for Finger lakes trout.

I can remember when there were literally HUNDREDS of lights on the water on Keuka near Hammondsport on some nights.

Special gas feuled lights were extended over the side of an anchored, or drifting boat.

The lights would attract sawbellies. The fisherman would dipnet the sawbellies to use for bait. Often they would cheat a little by stunning the bait with M-80s or dynamite caps, weighted to explode several feet under the boat. Take note that it was and still is very illegal to get bait in that fashion.. :o ...

Once bait was obtained, it was fished on special gang hooks on multiple leader Seth green rigs, with 3 to five leaders. Most fishermen held the line in thier hand, rather than using a rod. Leaders on bait rigs were shorter than those on regular day rigs, usually two to four feet rather than the 10 to 15 foot leaders used on day rigs for trolling spoons.

If bait was slow in coming, many guys jigged with flutter spoons on short leadered seth green rigs similar to the bait rigs.

Typically, you tried to fish about 50 feet under the boat, to intercept trout that were working up into the bait school suspended under the night light.

The largest lakers and rainbows of the season were usually caught at night, on bait.

Some people still night fish at Hammondsport and probably other places, but rather than use Seth green rigs, most fishermen now use regular spinning or level wind tackle with sawbellies and slip sinkers.

Clarkie,

Thanks for the insight and history. I'll give it a try when I get down this weekend, after i mow the lawn. I know some of the saltwterguys attach a glowstick to the line to attract fish .

Fred